1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimConnect and Vista w/ Multi Boot

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by byoung, 23/3/08.

1. byoung

byoung

Vista is on my F: Partition and it seems like The Simconnect libraries go bonkers when everything is the F: drive instead of the C: drive (XP is on C:). The libraries were working fine under XP on the C: Drive. I am the administrator on the Vista Machine. It is giving "unable to create":

Warning 1 Load of property 'OutputPath' failed. The entered path is not a valid output path. Managed Data Request
    Warning 2 Could not create output directory 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\Samples\Managed Data Request\Managed Data Request\bin\Debug\'. Access is denied.
    Managed Data Request
    Warning 3 Load of property 'OutputPath' failed. The entered path is not a valid output path. Managed Data Request
    Warning 4 Unable to create directory "bin\Debug\". Access to the path 'bin\Debug\' is denied. Managed Data Request
    Warning 5 Unable to create directory "obj\Debug\". Access to the path 'obj\Debug\' is denied. Managed Data Request

Why is this happening when I am the Administrator on the Vista machine. What the heck is going on here?

I have uninstalled and re-installed the SDK and SDK SP1A and I still can't get any of the SimConnect SDK samples to work. Has anybody tried to install VS 2005 and the SimConnect libraries on a Multi Boot (Vista on F: or other than C:).

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
    Last edited: 23/3/08
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I am not sure if it is related to your dual-boot setup. I would first check if you have write access in the folder where you insalled the SDK (and where the samples thus are).
  3. byoung

byoung

Thanks Arno,

That seems to be the problem. This is extremely WEIRD because I am defined as an Administrator and that group has complete read / write access to the SDK folder hierarchy.
    Yet when I looked under Users there wasn't any write access. I wonder if this is a Microsoft Vista Bug / Feature.

Since I am basically the Administrator on the machine, shouldn't I have complete access (read write) etc to everything on the machine?

One thing that was weird, was that the SDK folder was read only, which I have changed.

Vista = WEIRD

Thanks again!
  4. byoung

byoung

SimConnect and Vista

One more Weirdity about SimConnect and Vista is I dont see the simconnect.dll file being setup properly. On the XP machine, it appears to find the simconnect.dll files on the C: drive for XP. But not for Vista, no SimConnect.dll located on the F: partition. See attached image

I ran one of the SimConnect samples and I got this error message:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect, Version=10.0.61242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

If you installed FSX and the SDK correctly on Vista, then you should not have any trouble finding SimConnect. Did you install both of them on Vista or are you using the same installation as on your XP?

About the folder rights, I don't know. I don't understand Vista that much yet. Could be that it is one of the new security features. I remember I have read somewhere that access to the Program Files folder is indeed limited.
  6. byoung

byoung

Sim Connect on Vista

Since I am using simconnect.dll on a networked machine, I installed the FSX SDK from the FSX DVD, then the Update SP1A. I don't have FSX installed on this machine at all.

What folder is the simconnect.dll file supposed to be installed by default? I have a copy of it for the project. But I don't see it as a "registered" program in Vista. Is it supposed to appear in the control panel as a registered application. I'll have to maybe switch over to XP and see what the heck is going on. I really want to blow XP away on this machine so everthing goes back to normal. (C: drive etc.).

Maybe the installer on Vista saw the simconnect.dll in the Bin folder on my VS2005 project, and decided not to copy and register it? Can I do just a regsvr32 simconnect.dll to register this? I just not certain how Vista works with COM+ objects... as far as registering the DLLs etc.

Update: The SimConnect application/ library DOES show in the Control Panel Program List on XP. So something may be wrong on the Vista installer side not being compatible with properly setting up this object. Or could it be the Administrator debockle or I should say "new feature" and having to set some type of permissions before it installs and copies it to the Vista Machine.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: 23/3/08
  7. byoung

byoung

Simconnect w / Vista SOLVED

OK, I double checked my install processes and realized that simconnect is a seperate install. Thats what was missing! All seems to be working now.

Thanks to arno who and all who contributed!

B