1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simconnect or FSUIPC

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by jcop, 16/11/06.

1. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello All,

Since i'm intrested in programming with VB.NET (now looking into the 2005 ed) and of course in FS9 and the new one FSX, I was thinking of creating a logbook tool which allow users to enter data manually but also retrieve data from the sim during flights.

I'm looking into the SDK ms provided with FSX and of course the FSUIPC interface SDK, FSUPIC has some nice documented VB information but I'm also able to convert the C# doc from MS to VB. What do you think would be the best way from creating this tool and if possible are there any examples for reading some triggered events in FS, FSUIPC is using alot of offsets and in the MS eg I have a problem with following statement which at this time I didn't figured out what to do with this "WM_USER_SIMCONNECT".

Any ideas and feedback are welcome.
    Kind regards,
    Johan
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Well FSUIPC4 uses Simconnect to communicate with FSX, so it is an extra step if you want to do something new and for FSX only.

I am continuing to work through FSUIPC for my tools but that is because I already have the coding libraries and I can use them for both FS9 and FSX.

If your goal is to collect information from FSX only for your logbook then I would probably go with Simconnect. If you want it to work with FS9 also then FSUIPC.

As far as using FSUIPC with VB.Net there is a library dll on my web site together with an example of how to use it - it was designed to make it easy to read variables from FS. It is for dotNET2 so you need VS2005.

If you are new to dotNET then you might want to consider using C# rather than VB. The transition from VB6 to VB.Net is quite large, and there is often more help avialable for C#. In any case it does not matter that much since you should work in the language that you feel most comfortable with :)
  3. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Thanks

Hello Scruffyduck,

Seems interesting I certainly will check this tool on your site.
    Thanks
    :)