1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimConnect

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Mac, 29/11/07.

1. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Does anyone know of a simple tutorial on how to set up SimConnect. 186 pages :eek:of info is way above my attention span.:confused:
    Would like to use it with Airport Design Editor.
    Mac
  2. jvile

jvile

Hi Mac

I am wondering if a better forum to ask this would be on the Simconnect forum here at FSdeveloper.

There are many developers including Pete Dawson of FSUIPC that post on the Simconnect forum.

Of course you could watch this forum to see if someone will give you some tips and I am like you, 186 pages is a bit much when SDK's are not knowledge based.

Jon has used some of the simconnect code in the design of ADE. He took a well needed break for the next couple of days after working on this project for over a year. On his return he maybe able to help out.
    Last edited: 29/11/07
  3. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Hi Mac,

If you install the SDK, SimConnect should have been set up automatically. Have you tried running FSX then ADE then clicked on the ADE "Connect" button?

George
  4. jvile

jvile

George

I must have mis read Mac post.

I thought he was wanting more information on how to use Simconnect programming rather then connecting to ADE.

Like Derrick said, that is worth the price of admission
  5. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Yes, I have loaded both.
    All I see is a grayed out disconnect button on the right side.
    Can't see anywhere that lets me activate Simconnect.:confused:
    I probably did something wrong although I can't figure out what it is.
    Mac
  6. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
  7. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Boy, my head hurts.:(
    No way I can grasp all that stuff. My old brain :speanut: just won't take it.

I have everything installed in the default directories.
    FSX with SP1 and SDK with SP1a installed.

I'm afraid I have no idea how to get FSconnect to work let alone understand it.:eek::redflag:

If Airport Design Editor and FSconnect are supposed to connect automatically I have no idea what has happened.:mad:

Anyyway, thanks for the help fellows.
    Mac
  8. jvile

jvile

Mac

We don't give up that easy. ADE like George said is suppose to connect to FSX. If none of us have a answer we can surely track one down.

It does appear that simconnect on your computer is not confiqured 100 percent.

You say you are using FSX/SP1a and have installed the SDK for SP1a correct?

Do you have any Utilities installed like FSUIPC that confirms on installation that simconnect was found properly?

I am by no means an expert on simconnect. George and Jon would be my best bet along with some of our other team members. Jon will be back in a few days.
    Last edited: 30/11/07
  9. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    Copy the following into a new notepad file on your computer.

Save the file as SimConnect.ini in the Flight Simulator X Files folder in your My Documents folder (or Documents in Vista)

Start FSX and go to an airport - shut down FSX - look at the log file with Notepad created in the root directory of your C driver.

If SimConnect is working properly - the log file will get quite large very quickly.

Note - this is a tip from Pete Dowson's FSUIPC support forum.
  10. DanKH

DanKH

denmark

To be able to connect to FSX, you have have FSX running first, otherwise there is nothing to connect to.

As a matter of fact, when just running ADE, you should both see a greyed out Connect AND a greyed out Disconnect button.

So be sure to start up FSX (you don't actually have to be at an airport but i would surely help ;-) Especially that airport you want to edit.

When you are there with your engines running. Switch to ADE (or start ADE) and you should now be able to select Connect...
  11. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I am just confirming that this is a problem with connecting ADE to FSX? If so then you need to know that ADE uses the first version of Simconnect. This should be on your computer. Also, and importantly in one sense, if ADE cannot find the SimConnect version it is looking for then the program will not run at all. So you must have a copy that ADE can find and attach to. In that case the Disconnect button is greyed until you are connected. The color indicator is Red and the Connect button will be useable. If FSX is running then clicking connect should have the Red Indicator turn Green, the Connect button grey out and the Disconnect button become active. Is that the process you have followed?
  12. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Boy, am I embarrassed.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I was running Airport Design Editor in a reduced window, therefore the Connect button was hidden behind the add guidelines button.:banghead::banghead:

Once I maximized the window, everything popped into view.:)

I now have it working.:D:D

As you can tell, computers are not my strong suit, sorry for wasting everyones time.:eek::eek::eek:
  13. DanKH

DanKH

denmark
    NP. Glad you got sorted.
  14. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Good that you found it, however you are not wasting out time. I need to look at how the button bars behave when the program is not maximized so you have found something useful to us :)