1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Hint

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Pyscen, 31/1/10.

1. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Hey Everyone (that doesn't know already)!

Within SketchUp, your textures can be combined! For instance,... lets say you used a mixtured of textures (SketchUp and/or created), you can select them all and right click to combine them into 1 texture (a single face preferred).

This will cut the number of Textures down to possible 1 (per side/face).

I hope this helps some of you :D!
  2. Sidney Schwartz

Sidney Schwartz Resource contributor

us-oregon
    Hey, thanks for the tip, Doug. :) I like Sketchup, but the documentation is about as good as Gmax's, which is to say not very good. :mad:

OK, how do you select more than one texture? I can't figure that out.
    Last edited: 31/1/10
  3. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

It only works for buildings where you use more than one texture on a face of a building (i.e. a wall texture and a window texture). Select all the faces of one side of a building (they must be parallel) and then right click. Choose Combine Textures. Sketchup will create a texture with the current appearance of that wall. It also gives you the choice to erase all the interior edges (so you end up with a single polygon). So if you created separate window polygons using a unique window texture (for example), you can combine that window texture with the wall texture. This will create the windows purely in textures, vs in a separate rectangle polygon.

Hope this helps,
  4. Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    Thanks, Tom. It's a neat trick all right, even if it's something I may not have much need for. My stuff is usually pretty simple anyway. Still, the more tools in your box, the better. :)

Where the heck do you guys find this stuff out?? Is this in the docs and I just missed it? :confused:
  5. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Actually, I found it by accident,.... :D! but for the building I was reproducing it cut it down by maybe 10 or so... here is an example:

the front face is actually combination of 6 or 7 individual textures... even the banner on the right hand side was one texture,.. the red wings were another, the doors and the large windows were separate. The White panels, each taken from either pictures or google earth,... the placing them accordingly and then combining them.

Attached Files:

6. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

I had no idea it could do that until Pyscen posted this here. Then I went to Sketchup help and searched for Combine Textures and found it. :)
    Last edited: 31/1/10
  7. Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    Figures. This forum has always been my best resource for help in figuring out how to make these various programs work. :)
  8. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    LOL:D I'm glad your checking my work, Tom. I have made comments that lead me into trouble (not thinking).

Yes it has (this forum). Its kinda of funny,... of all the stuff out there/here this place seems to be the only place to get the facts! And of course we can thank Arno and others for that!
  9. Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    All I need now is a Sketchup intervention. Help...I can't stop! :eek:
    Last edited: 31/5/10
  10. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    I don't use Sketchup, but scenery stuff is quite addicting, that's for sure! I started two weeks ago on what was intended to be a short diversion from my normal aircraft and gauge design work...

...and can't seem to find a stopping point! Just yesterday I took my virtual bulldozer and knocked down the Eaglesoft Aviation Division hanger (actually just moved the model in ADE9X to a new location), so I'd have that land available to add a patio/bbq area for the Pilot's Lounge... :D
  11. Sidney Schwartz

us-oregon
    Sketchup, Gmax and all the other varieties of scenery tweakers....they're all addictive. I just tell myself it's cheaper than a crack habit. :rolleyes:
  12. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    LOL,... well the add-on and new and better computers aren't cheap either!
    ;)