1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sketchup & ModelConverterX

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Sidney Schwartz, 23/1/10.

1. Sidney Schwartz

Sidney Schwartz Resource contributor

us-oregon
    I had looked briefly at the free Google version of Sketchup a few years ago. I thought it was clever but didn't take it very seriously since there was no way to use Sketchup objects in FS9. It also seemed very simplistic compared to Gmax. After hearing about ModelConverterX I decided to take another look at Sketchup, and this time I'm very impressed. Sketchup is actually quite sophisticated. Maybe not quite the match for Gmax, but the Sketchup interface is sooooo much more comprehensible.

I recently made a simple baggage cart in Gmax and decided to try making the same object in Sketchup. I especially wanted to see if I could use the same textures as I did with the Gmax model. My unfamiliarity with Sketchup slowed me down, but I had no trouble other than that. As you can see, Arno's conversion program worked perfectly.

THANK YOU YET AGAIN, ARNO!!
    Last edited: 31/5/10
  2. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

I agree, what a wonderful program. I'm already seeing several people on my forum who never produced scenery before create really nice buildings and such.

For those just beginning the process I have posted a short tutorial on the process:

http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htm

Hope this helps,
  3. Sidney Schwartz

Sidney Schwartz Resource contributor

us-oregon
    A friend of mine sent me the link to your tutorial, and that's what got the ball rolling. So thanks to you too, Tom! :D
  4. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi Sidney,

Glad to help. You've provided so many great library objects that I have used in my scenery I'm glad to give something back.

PS. I've recently added more pictures to the tutorial, so hopefully it's a bit clearer.
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Glad to hear the tool is useful for you.

I have almost finished some new functionality that will help you to process the textures from SketchUp to FS. I hope to release that in a few days.
  6. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    If that includes converting JPG's into BMP's and making non-square textures into power-of-2 square textures, that will be a great help!!!

Thanks,
  7. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Yes, it is exactly those two things :).