1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Sloping runway" with ADE

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Wantok, 15/8/08.

1. Wantok

Wantok

papuanewguinea
    I am trying to make a new rugged mountain strip sloped with the Airport Design Editor (ADE). I recall somewhere, either in this forum or Avsim, that it can be done. I think it was Jon (scruffyduck) who pointed this out.

Could someone point out if that is correct and how to achieve this.

Thanks
    Wantok
  2. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    Yes it can be done.

But keep in mind there are limitations, in that AI will not use your sloped runway at all. Also you may have crash detect issues with your aircraft on there, depending on how radical the slope is.

I have used FSX_KML to create a sloped runway airport--I have not used ADE. But the type of scenery used is the same.

In ADE you would need to create a new airport, centered on the lat/long of your choice.

Load a background image if you think you need one...to get an idea of where your landing strip will go.

In ADE there is a green icon, for laying down shp2vec-style/cvx polygons. Draw a poly of the outline of your runway using this tool.

Tag the poly with any tag of your choice. (I suggest one of the dirt tags, etc.) I think ADE and FSX_KML tag names are a little different but you get the idea.

Keep in mind that this runway will not have any markings, will not be used by any AI, and may be a lot rougher than you would like, making it difficult to land on.

Be SURE that you do not have any flatten under the area you are working in. Check in TMFViewer to verify that there is no stock scenery flatten under there. Since you're working on a mountaintop, I doubt that will be an issue.

Long and short is, yes it can be done. Perhaps there are some ADE-specific things that I have omitted here; for that, Jon and others can fill in the blanks.
  3. Wantok

Wantok

papuanewguinea
    Rhett,
    I appreciate your swift reply.
    Great short tute for KLM and ADE. I have both so I'll go ahead and start designing a new rwy off of a forty-five 100 ft mountainside. I am not interested in AI as the rwy and background scenery is intended for bush pilots who like the outback rugged terrain-simming. Besides this rwy, in real life, is only 430m long; AI would not be best for such short field scenery even if flat.

I would appreciate also if Jon or others could chime in a bit more on designing slope in this project using ADE.

Regards
    Wantok
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Not really my area of expertise :eek: ADE is primarily an airport designer. Sloping runways are priarily about terrainn or even GMax. Certainly you can create a sloping polygon to represent a runway but any airport facilities that you create will be 'flat' since that is the only way things work in FSX
    Last edited: 16/8/08
  5. Wantok

Wantok

papuanewguinea
    Thanks for the clarity Jon. I guess I'll have to read more into SBX then.

Kind regards
    Wantok
  6. Mace

Mace

us-missouri
    I don't know about SBX on this, but here's the shorthand-version of the FSX_KML process.

1) go to the site in GoogleEarth
    2) draw a polygon (in GoogleEarth, on it's toolbar) of your runway.
    3) save (in GoogleEarth) as .kml
    4) load your kml file in FSX_KML
    5) apply the tag of your choice to your poly (I used one that made it look like dirt). Do not use a flattening tag.
    6) compile in FSX_KML. Load it in the sim. that's it.

Oh, I almost forgot. You'll want to create another larger poly around your runway, and tag it with Airport_Backgrounds_Remove_Autogen. This will remove all the trees, etc. in that area.

Having a good quality terrain mesh is crucial.

As Jon said, you can do things with Gmax too, but unless your terrain is really extreme (like Lukla, in the Himalayas) you shouldn't need to resort to using gmax surfaces.