1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slopped Poly's

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by richard64, 1/5/08.

1. richard64

richard64

wales
    Hi all.

Have been looking forward to be able to slope poly's but as usual I have run into problems from the start.

I am experimenting to get the hang of how to do it and have drawn a simple rectangle around a runway.
    I have used Airport Background and Flatten Exclude Autogen.
    No problems joining the ends together.
    I have ticked the box "Edit Individual Points" but cannot then do that as the altitude box gets "greyed out".

I am sure it is something simple I am not doing.

All help appreciated.

Regards
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Richard

Once you tick the box you can not longer set the altitude in the box. This is described in the 1.25 release notes. You need to set it for each vryex of the polygon. So tick it and save the change. Then select a single vertex in the polygon Edit it and you should be able to change the altitude value for that single vertex. Please bear in mind that this will NOT create a sloping runway. The runways created by BglComp are always flat
  3. richard64

richard64

wales
    Thanks Jon,

After I posted the question I found the release notes.
    "After everything else fails find and read the instructions"
    Will I never learn??

Regards.
  4. scruffyduck

wales
    That's why we have release notes Richard - gives people something not to read ;)
  5. richard64

richard64

wales
    Just as an aside Jon, what is the difference between

Flatten Exclude Autogen AND
    Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen.
  6. scruffyduck

wales
    Dunno I think it has something to do with the overlying and underlying land class showing through but one of the others will be able to say. I always used the latter
  7. richard64

richard64

wales
    OK Jon have done a 46 point poly and it looks so so much better than previously.

The biggest problem was deciding WHERE to put the poly to elimate as much as possible cliffs and plateau's [ is that how you spell it? ] but after a couple of efforts was ok.

It was actually NOT that difficult to do and did not take too long either, using ADE and FSX in 2 windows side by side and using the "Set Alitude to FSX" function. so a good job. Thanks.

I shall look forward to more functions with this part of ADE.

Regards
  8. scruffyduck

wales
    Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased to know that it works 'out in the field' :)
  9. richard64

richard64

wales
    I've found a better way of doing it than with 2 windows side by side as I found that I wasn't getting a true altitude reading.
    A bit fiddlier but no big deal and a more accurate altitude.
    I will hold this method in abeyance until someone asks a question regarding using slopped poly's and then perhaps I will be able to [ at last ] make a contribution.

Regards.
  10. Mace

Mace

us-missouri

Flatten Exclude Autogen does just that;
    and the underlying landclass will show as normal.

Flatten MaskClassMap Exclude Autogen does all of the above but the underlying landclass *TYPE* will show through on the poly, rather than the landclass itself. By "type" I mean green or brown; all landclass tiles have an associated color (either green or brown) that is the color that will show through on MaskClassMap polys. This color is also modified by SEASON (via a season.bgl). There can also be a mottled (green/brown mix) appearance, and this occurs when an airport poly is sitting on landclass tiles of different types.

Default FSX airports use FlattenMaskClassMapExcludeAutogen as their flag type.

There are a few stock airports, like MGTK, that do not have this type of underlying poly. You can observe that by going to MGTK in FSX. Notice the trees all over the place. This, I think is an oversight...but then again, with 20,000+ airports I can see where a few might be overlooked.
  11. richard64

richard64

wales
    Thanks mate for the info.

Regards.
  12. MarkkuS

MarkkuS

sweden
  13. scruffyduck

wales