1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small RC helicopter in FSX?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Cosky, 8/10/10.

1. Cosky

Cosky

poland
    I searched the forum and net and couldnt find the answer
    does anyone tried to create small in size RC helicopter model (similar to RealFlight G5 models) in FSX and control it with standard RC controller ?
    I'm asking because i'm leading UAV development project at university and we need simulation environment for navigation and control algorithms tests. FSX seems to be perfect for it but as i sad i couldnt find if anyone tried it.
    I'm totally new to the FSX development i will keep reading the forum but some help at start will be appreciated to push our work foreward
  2. jetwelder

jetwelder Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    some time ago i had a chinese made, rc helicopter.it came with a cable and software.it connected to my pc, and allowed me to simulate using the rc controller in a simplified envirenment, in terms of scenery at least..building model aircraft for fs has already been done...building a model aircraft and tweaking its airfile so it flies like a model is doable...interfacing an rc controller with fs....it should be possible...the driver for such a controller is the big issue???..sorry cant help more..keep searching its a nice idea..jim
  3. Cosky

Cosky

poland
    Developing RC controler Driver is trivial, developing small aircraft model is more than doable i was rather more interested in physic aspect of the simulator
    it was designed to work with big and heavy models and i'm not sure if it will work correctly with models small in size, i'm sure we will evaluate it even if none tried it so far.
    thank you for answer anyway
  4. jetwelder

jetwelder Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    the physics problem

this is a more interesting problem.....fs9,fsx/acc...doesnt care about the size or shape of the model...you could build an armchair and fly around in fs...its the air file that defines how the object flies...and of course a model, behaves differently than a full size aircraft,and its not just a question of scale...

tweaking the airfile is easy...but the way a model is affected by the physics,
    is much more of a problem,as its not just a question of size....but if you have data on your model,then tweaking the airfile will hopefully put you in the ballpark,followed by some feedback tuning.....take a look at the airfile for any fs aircraft wiith aam,free. or airwrench,payware...

ps.xplanes blade element theory.preposterous claims are made for this,and in tests fs airfile outperformed it,only slightly...but for the concept to be true too its claims, it would have to run on a cray mainframe....hope this helps..jim
  5. Au-MaV

Au-MaV

australia
    Hi
    As a RC heli flier (well Ive tried for 4 years :) ) I have used fsx for practice
    using an off the shelf TX to usb cable, its a pig to set up in fsx but doable.
    I use full sized models as it makes it easier to see but as said above 1 to 1 scale should be doable within reason,a 450 class heli would prob have to many small parts for the compiler to handle the detail.The FDE is where the main issues are, you need to dumb down the fde quite a bit if you want to model gyro's there are some trim gauges for helis that help and over at hovercontrol.com you will find modules that can be configured for more advanced dynamics.On the other hand there are few freeware RC heli sims around
    FMS http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
    helisim http://www.marksfiles.net/HeliSim/
    helix http://www.heli-x.net/index_e.shtml
    and a large list here which may have some open source ones
    http://www.astro.ku.dk/~norup/vertigo/fly_links.html
    You might be better spending the time with a dedicated RC sim
    Cheers
    Wozza