1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help in understanding

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by jcop, 24/4/07.

1. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello to all,

I have a question concerning a programming technique in .NET VB, I want to create an app with multiple panels. But I cannot understand how to use different panels to show in your app when you click a button. Are you creating these seperatly or drawing all the panels into your form?

The VB2005 MYmovie collection is an eg of what I want to achieve.

thanks in advace fore the info.
    regards,
    Johan
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    If I understand what you are asking then my LOM Program is possibly an example of this. I have not tried the MyMovies Example. I Use VB2005 Standard and C# but presumably this is a code source example so you could see how it is done?

It is a while since I did LOM but I recall using a Splitter to create two separate areas and in one put a panel. I then created windows forms for each different interface component and depending on what button was clicked (or object type selected from a list) the appropriate window was opened on the panel. Is that the kind of thing you want to do?
  3. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hi scruffyduck,

yes this is what I want to accompish, but I just need a howto to activate the form inside the panel, when I now ckick a button I always get a new screen ontop of my main form.

hope you can put me in the right direction.
    thanks
  4. scruffyduck

wales
    It is a long time ago that I did this and I do not use VB.NET any longer ( I have been working in C# for the past couple of years). I know I found out how to do it by using google search. I've attached the section of code that carries out this operation. It revolves around the My.Forms collection and swapping the m_activeForm value. Maybe this code will help. If not try a google search or have a trawl through www.vb-helper.com (if you haven't already been there);
    Last edited: 26/1/08
  5. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello,

Thanks for the feedback I will see if I can find something at the VB site.

regards,
    Johan
  6. Alex Barrett

Alex Barrett

unitedkingdom
    Hello Johan,

I don't entirely understand what you are trying to achieve but would it be possible to do so using tabs?

It would keep things within the same window yet at the same time give you more room to play with?

Just a thought.

All the best,

Alex
  7. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello Alex,

Yes that would be possible, hence I started with taps but on the otherhand things looks much nicer when I could do it in a panel, mabey a better eg of what I try to recreate i an app like oulook2003 view, on the left you have all the buttons, then in the right screen you will see different panels or a treeview and a panel.
    hope this is clear enough :)

rgds,
    johan
  8. Alex Barrett

Alex Barrett

unitedkingdom
    Johan,

Thank you for clearing that up.

In your case I would definitely use the splitter container, very configurable for your needs.

However I don't wish to tread on Mr Scruffyduck's toes here!

How goes the search for a solution Johan?

Alex
  9. scruffyduck

wales
    I think that is what I used :)
  10. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hi Alex, scruffyduck,

I have found an eg. at the codeproject site. Called PaneledForms demo.
    I think this can do the trick on the otherhand I also found a component that looks like a outlook bar (testoutlook bar). So at the time still thinkg of what way to use would be the best, with different buttons to activate the panel needed or work via the outlookbar, but then again both ways will provide the same result.
    regards,
    Johan
  11. jcop

jcop

belgium
    hi folks

Have been learning about usercontrol in VB2005 this is what I needed.

Mabey someone can point me in another direction cocerning reading the aircraft cfg files.
    I have added a treeview and when executing the code I have the all my FS aircraft folders listed, but when I click on a node none of the fltsim names appear.
    Is there an easy slution for this?
    rgds and thks in advance
    Johan
    Last edited: 11/5/07
  12. scruffyduck

wales
    Can you show us the some of the code that you are using for this?