1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Questions about ADE, FSX and maybe some Problems...

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by buedi, 17/1/09.

1. buedi

buedi

germany
    Hi,

sorry for the "not so specific" Topic, but I did not want to clutter the Forum and create new Threads for each Topic. I hope this is OK. I am currently working on EDJA and with the Help from someone working at EDJA I got all the Information I need to create a realistic Layout. But after working with ADE on EDJA for a few Weeks now I get close to the finish... and then you get to the Details. And these can cause some Headaches. I will attach a Image on this Post. This way it should be easier to follow my questions. I know that maybe these are not all ADE specific Questions, but I am working with this great tool and I think there are some quite smart people in this Forum :D

1. On EDJA they use a "modified Calvert". They say they have Strobes. But when I create a Calvert in ADE and set the number of Strobes to something greater than 0 I don´t get Strobes in FSX. I tried different Approaches (with ILS and without) and Weather from Sunny to Hurricane and Fog... and I don´t get any Strobes. I fear that in the Calvert System normally no Strobes are used and FSX just won´t display them even if I set them to 5 / 10 / 15 / whatever :(
    2. Since EDJA was a Military Airport which is now civilian they are not using all the Taxiways. Some are even closed. I defined some of the Taxiways as closed (marked with a X on the Image), but the AI still rolls on them. Will I have to delete all closed Taxiways and recreate them with Aprons?
      What makes it even worse: I set the Starting Point to Taxiway Whisky and thought that the AI will roll on Whiskey to the Starting Point. But they use the closed Taxiways and roll to the End of the Runway. Because there´s no Hold Short the AI waits forever (until it gets removed from FSX).
      Does the AI completely ignore the Starting Point?
      It is used definately when I Start FSX, chose EDJA and "Use current active Runway". My Plane is then placed on the Starting Point. But it´s not relevant for the AI isn´t it?
    3. Is there a way to close Taxiways for big planes? On EDJA (Real) the 737 only uses Taxiways Whisky and and November. Sierra, Alpha, Beta, Charly, Papa are only used by GA. But when Runway 24 is opened, the AI rolls S, B, P until it reaches 24. In reality the 737 rolls N -> Runway until they reach 24, turn around and start. I fear this is not possible in FSX?
    4. Are Gates used in a random Order by FSX for AI? I thought that they are used in order (A, B, C...). On EDJA there are 5 "Gates" for the 737s. But only Gate A and B are used for the People to board the Plane. The other 3 are only used for Parking. I think I can´t control that in FSX or with ADE?
    5. I placed some Hangars on my Airport. But whenever I try to enter them with a Plane it "crashes". Will I have to align them 100% to the ground by Hand or does this work only with specific Hangars?

Kind regards!

Attached Files:

2. glottis

glottis

newzealand
    Hi buedi

I think i understand your questions so i'll try my best to answer them........

1. Not sure on this one without checking at the airport

2. Just make sure they are disconnected at one end, either at the rwy end or at the taxiway end, ie: redraw them and do NOT connect them at one end by finishing with your node (blue) just short of the connection point, making sure it is closed in the menu option, or you MAY get a warning of it not connected in ADE.
    To stop aircraft rolling to the end of the rwy, just delete all the black lines on the rwy to W,
    The other problem here may arise with GA coming to the rwy at A they may take off or they may cross the rwy and go all the way around to W, you could always join A to W at the rwy if this happens, as this is how it is at X start of the rwy.

Correct, AI ignores the starting point, this for user aircraft only.

3. There is no way to close paths/taxiways for aircraft size
    weight on taxiways was a consideration in earlier versions of Flight sim but has never been implemented, pity really.

4. It is possible to control aircraft parking in FSX, number them with a higher letter and number and/or increase the parking spot size

5. Make sure you have crash control turned off in FSX

hope this helps as the image was a great help, thank you

Ray
  3. jvile

jvile

Strobes are not based on what FSX/ADE can or cannot do but are based on what the regulations show as per the FAA.

Calvert approach lighting by default does not have strobes so FSX follows the same rule.

There are many rules on what can have strobes and when they can be activated as per the FAA documents. FSX/ADE follows these rules as best as possible.

Some approach lights have strobes all the time.
    Some approach lights only have strobes at night.
    Some approach lights only have strobes if the airport is IMC in FSX day or night.
    Some approach lights have no strobes even though a window property field in ADE exist to add them.

On approach charts like Jeppesen (not free ones from the internet) it will tell the pilot what approach lighting exist and if the strobes are by default as per the FAA rules. In the real world a Control Tower can overide the FAA rule and turn strobes on if they are added to any type lighting system.

If you do not want to research the FAA documents for what type approach lighting uses strobes and when, then it is trial and error with ADE until you find what you want.

hope this helps
    Last edited: 18/1/09
  4. buedi

buedi

germany
    Thank you very much for your Detailed answers! :)

1. Thanks for the Details jvile. I searched for the FAA Documents but since CALVERT does not seem to be common in the US and the FAA covers only the US and (M)ALSF, MALSR (i suppose) I can not find anything there. If I read it correctly CALVERT is not common on Civilian Airports because it is often only used on Military Airports (at least in Europe). Since FSX regulates where I can have strobes and where not I am also thinking about skipping the Idea with the Strobes. Sometimes you are limited by Software and maybe this is one of the "rare" cases.

2. Hey glottis. You Sir, are a genius! This works! Although I did it a bit different. When placing Taxiway Nodes on the Runway (without a Link to the Runway Path) the Taxiway will lead straight into the Runway (you won´t get that rounded Edges, at least not in ADE). So I created a Taxipath on the Runway too. This way the lines are drawn correctly and the AI does not use them. I also shortened the Runway Path as you mentioned. Now the AI is departing correctly on EDJA. At least on the Runway 06. :D
    For GA I will have to see how I can get AI Traffic for GA and watch them Taxiing. If it makes problems I will have to use your Idea and connect A with W or live with it. Either I will have correct Traffic or a correct Layout. I will have to think about it.

3. That´s really sad. But at least I know that I can´t do anything about it.

4. I tried renumbering them in all possible ways (A-D, 1-5, 5-1, D-A, mixed). The AI is always set on the Gates with the shortest Distance to the Runway. I think this is how FSX places the AI on the Gates. When I define 3 of my Gates as Parking then the other 2 Gates on the Terminal are used. Sadly I only have max. 2 AIs on the Airport currently (don´t know how to add more). Because of this I can´t say if a 3rd scheduled flight will just not appear or if it will be placed on the Parking spots until a Gate is free. I think I will find that out in the future :p

Edit: My "closer to the runway" Theory is wrong. I measured the Distance for all 5 of my Gates. And at least one Gate of the "Group of 2" is closer to the Runway than all of the "Group of three". I don´t get it, but will leave the 3 as Parking spots now.

5. If I go to Edwards Airforce Base I can Taxi straight into the Hangars without disabling the Crash detection. You can even fly through them if you aim properly. I also had some AddOn Scenery which had even Parking spots defined within a Hangar. With the Library Objects Hangar 13 or 06 for example I just crash.

Thanks for your patience!

Kind regards
    Last edited: 18/1/09
  5. jvile

jvile

That is because the crash box for those scenery object hangers is turned off. The next release version of ADE will allow you to turn off the crash box for each individual sceney object.

Distance has nothing to do with where a AI plane parks. FS uses a score system for where it places a plane. If you want the 2 or 3 AI Planes to park in the same parking spot when they arrive at the airport then you have to define in the parking spot the airline ICAO code. You also add that same code to the aircraft.cfg file. You should also open the parking list in ADE and drag the parking spots to a higher priority for parking. Change the list so the AI Parking is first at the top and other parking is lower down on the list (see our documentation for all the details).

There are many many post by Reggie Fields here at FS Develeoper that explains the score system of parking and how to make sure the AI plane parks where it is suppose to. Use the search engine here on the forum to find all those post on parking priorities.
    Last edited: 19/1/09
  6. buedi

buedi

germany
    Thanks alot for your reply. This helps alot. I am also currently reading the "Prioritise parking" thread which is very interesting also.

I also created a Hangar by myself in Gmax (not really a Hangar with Textures, but just a simple Object do drive into and FSX does not crash. Maybe this is because I designed my "Hangar" without a floor. It is placed directloy on an Apron and this way I can just drive into the Hangar. Maybe I will build my own Hangar now, but I have to learn alot :p