1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steps needed in MCX

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by Pyscen, 27/1/10.

1. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Arno,...

I'm not sure the 3ds by MCX is converting corrently for use for GMax. My last attempt all faces are black,... and converting the model to a editable poly to the object doesn't seem to help in my previous threads.

So Maybe I'm missing a step... what should the steps be for MCX to get a model ready for 3ds or dae files?
  2. FelixFFDS

FelixFFDS

puertorico
    If all your faces are "black" when you import a 3DS file created by MCX, it may be that you need to "reset" the materials.

For example, today I dared to create a simple box in SketchUp, "textured" it, and exported as dae. Using MCX, I exported as 3ds and imported into gmax.

Yes, it was all-black (No Vitus, no haka sounds).

I then opened the material editor, and for each of the 2 materials, I "picked" the material from the textured face and, of course, pressed the blue-checkered button to apply/show the material.
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I think it is indeed the blue/white checkerboard button that you need to press in the material editor in GMax. Without that the textures are not displayed.

Also the 3DS format has a limitation for the texture name of 8.3 characters (DOS standard). So you might want to check if the name came through correctly.
  4. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Thanks for replying, so if I click on the material editor, then new(?) within the material editor it then asks Standard, Multi Material, and FlightSimX. I choose the last choice? Is this right?
  5. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Ahhh ok... that would make a big different (the 8.3 character format)
  6. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

No, don't create a new material.

As stated above, open the Material Editor in GMAX (red ball on button at top right of screen), click the Pick button, and then click on the object that has that material. A Material will load into the Editor, and then you can click the blue/white cube for the texture to display. Repeat as needed.

Hope this helps,
  7. Pyscen

Pyscen

us-texas
    Bingo!!! Got it! makes sense now! Thanks! I thought I was wearing the Dunce hat. Now trying to memerizing it,... :rolleyes:
  8. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    If you want to make use of the FSX material options you would have to create a new material in GMax.