1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Fossett Decathalon Tribute Repaint

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com, 6/10/08.

1. gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

gimpdaddyrob@gmail.com

us-california
    It's been awhile since I've posted and I hope that I will be a more regular contributor again soon. My medical condition continues its up and down track but there is light at the end of the tunnel... and not the kind they tell you to "move towards"! :D

My latest repaint project is the Super Decathlon (N240R) that Steve Fossett was flying at the time of his tragic crash. At the risk of being called morbid, I altered the pilots textures so that Steve is at the controls. The fact of the matter is Steve Fossett was a pioneer and a great pilot to boot and is sorely missed by many in the aviation community. This repaint is a tribute to the man, not the tragedy.

I was not all that familiar with the Super Decathlon before Steve was lost but I have made myself very familiar with it since. I spent some time on YouTube watching the amazing abilities the aircraft possesses as its being run through its paces and the thought struck me that whatever happened in that plane happened fast and Fossett either had no time to react or was incapacitated and unable to react. The Decathlon is an extremely forgiving and robust aircraft. Even with no engine power the planes glide characteristics make it highly controllable even at very low speeds. I hope that someday we may find out the truth of the accident but if it was a medical problem (i.e. stroke or heart attack)we may never know.

Here are some images... it has yet to be uploaded anywhere for public download but that will come soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dusty.M.J

Dusty.M.J

Great job!!

That's a plane I don't have. Who makes it?

Nothing from any searches :confused: Has it ever been uploaded?
  3. hinch

hinch

unitedkingdom
  4. Dusty.M.J

Dusty.M.J

Ahh nice. And a freeware to boot:cool:

Thank you

I'll go fetch it and wait to get the tributary release before first flight ;)