1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange compile in 0.11

Discussion in 'ObPlacer and ObPlacer XML' started by mattperry78, 1/1/05.

1. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    First off, this program is looking great!

Everything is running well in 0.11 except when I try to do a compile from inside the program. My XML (kbwiobj.XML) is located inside a remote directory, yet when I compile it asks for compile.XML. I copied compile.XML to my remote directory to see if it worked. It did parse, but it parsed compile.XML and created compile.BGL. I looked at compile.XML and sure enough it did have my objects placed correctly in that file. So is there a filename problem here?

Another note... I tried to use Update Object to swap one object for another that I had already placed, but it didn't update the model GUID. Thought this would be a nice feature, but I'll do just fine without it.

Great work again Arno!

Matt Perry
  2. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    And one more thing! :twocents: I just noticed that veh01 through veh11 are missing. I will use ObPlacer for my own objects primarily, but I do plan on using the default conveyors and cargo lifts. I know I can add them myself by adding their entries into your generic.XML or make my own new XML, but I thought you might want to know. Thanks again!

Matt Perry
  3. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Matt,

It is correct that the GUID can not be changed at the moment. Is indeed a good suggestion to also allow updating that.

For the generic file, it could indeed be that I am still missing some files. If you can give me the missing GUIDs I will be happy to add them as well.

Then for your compile problem. I must say I am a bit confused here. What is your problem? When ObPlacer XML compiles a file it does save the XML temporarily to the folder where you installed ObPlacer XML. This is the compile.xml file. After that the resulting BGL file is copied (with the correct file name, so not compile.bgl) to the folder you have indicated in the GUI. I had to do this because when compiling with full paths in the XML file the XML file and BGLComp must be in the same folder.
  4. arno

netherlands
    Hi Matt,

Just re-read your first post and the compile problem starts to make more sense. One more question, where does it ask for the compile.xml file?
  5. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Arno,

I just tried it again to make sure. My XML file is saved to D:\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\KBWI\scenery. Not only did I load the file from that directory I also gave that path to ObPlacer in the "BGL Folder" field. If compile.xml is not in that path it gives me the error "ERROR C2002: Failed to find files: (compile.xml)" So, I put compile.xml in that path and the parse works, but it parses compile.xml and compiles it into compile.bgl.

Matt
  6. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Arno,

I'm attaching a copy of my updated generic.xml with the additional default vehicles. A few blank lines identify the start of where I inserted objects near the bottom. I added a descriptive name next to the default veh0***. You will notice two objects have a question mark next to them... I wasn't sure of what to call them.

My source for the GUIDS was from Marc Renaud's Visual Index and XML Code of airport service vehicles available on AVSIM.com.

Matt

Attached Files:

7. arno

netherlands
    Thanks, I will add this info in the next version.
  8. arno

netherlands
    Hi Matt,

The compile.xml is not supposed to be in the folder where you place your normal XML file. It is just a temp file in the folder of ObPlacer XML. When you save your normal XML file it is placed in the folder you want and when you compile the BGL should also.

Can you please give me the full error message where it asks for the compile.xml file?
  9. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you. I wanted to make sure that I hadn't messed something up. I reinstalled obplacer and tried again. No luck. I've attached the screenshot of what happens when I try to use the automatic compiler. Again, if I move the compile.XML file to the destination directory (which I know i'm not supposed to do) it does compile, but makes the file compile.BGL.

Matt

Attached Files:

10. arno

netherlands
    Thanks, this makes it a bit more clear to me what happens.

But are you saying that if you move the XML file manual the compile button does work after that?

Could it be that you have installed ObPlacer XML and your scenery on different hard drives?
  11. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Ah, yes. My ObPlacer and destination directories are on different hard drives. Good call. I'll change that and try again.

Matt
  12. arno

netherlands
    I tried it here and the different drives indeed give me trouble. I will now dive into the code and see why that it :).
  13. arno

netherlands
    OK, I think it has been solved now. It does work again on my PC. When I release the next beta we will know for sure :D.