1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v2 T-346A

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by SixGhost, 19 Aug 2014.

1. JB3DG

JB3DG Resource contributor

southafrica
    Enlighten me?

SixGhost likes this.
  2. Heretic

Heretic Resource contributor

germany
    Luca models and textures, but can't deal with systems. Your employer is interested in military aircraft and has a capable systems development team. Soooooo...

3. Roel

Roel

netherlands
    Corporate espionage? Who would've thought things got this interesting here?

4. JB3DG

JB3DG Resource contributor

southafrica
    Far from it. Things are swamped at Milviz so KC can't quite consider taking on another model. I don't have much spare time right now but if things change I don't mind giving a little help to a freeware dev.

5. Heretic

germany
    Ah, too bad. I think there's a market for that bird.

6. SixGhost

SixGhost Resource contributor

italy
    Just to clarify, Jonathan was interested in seeing how it all works, and I was happy to share what I've got. When the time comes, I'll be evaluating any option. It is far too early now to even consider a publisher (plane will be payware, too much time invested). I'm however glad he's offering his extremely valuable knowledge and expertise and I'll be all ears to what he'll have to say in the future.

7. SixGhost

italy
    Looks like consoles did fit nicely and in accordance to drawings. Unfortunately, by comparing pictures I discovered that the ejection seats are placed too low, I guess they're depicted fully lowered in my drawings (it makes sense), but they look off that way and some details need moving around. It will take some time. Nature of the beast I guess.:)

[​IMG]

F747fly likes this.
  8. Michael2

Michael2

ca-britishcolumbia
    Oh, how I wish I knew about that technique for handling hard edges a year ago. It's so easy to do in Blender. You bevel the edges and set the profile to "1".

9. SixGhost

italy
    Nothing really fancy to show, I needed to take a break from modelling so I started mapping all the geometry I consider definitive. I'm thinking about Gmax uvw unwrapping abysmal capabilities and the time it took to do a reasonable good job...many years ago yet so clear. Max with Textools script is truely lightyears faster. If you read this and still use Gmax do yourself a favour and consider Blender.
    Back on topic, I now know that model detail is not an issue tverts wise. With careful mapping, uv packing and shaders' use I'm fairly confident I'll manage to keep drawcalls at a minimum.

A little curiosity, I've always liked unwrapping and that makes me a bad person in the eye of the average modeler...I mean, a really bad person!:D

[​IMG]

10. Heretic

germany
    Unwrapping is mildly fun if the "normal map" function plays along.

11. SixGhost

italy
    I usually "flatten" everything first. I then stitch manually and occasionaly "peel" and "relax", this way I have more control over the seams and can really get rid of any distortion. There's a fantastic tutorial worth purchasing over
    here explaining everything in detail.

jacklyon likes this.
  12. SixGhost

italy
    Back to modeling! I thought it was going to be faster but there were some awkwardly shaped pieces (damned engineers!) and the chamfer modifier did not collaborate. A couple more pieces here and there and the right side should be finished, hopefully soon...sheees!:eek:

[​IMG]

sharmes6 likes this.
  13. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

england
    Looking good :)

14. SixGhost

italy
    Aaaaaannd I think it's done! Pretty happy how it turned out, now three more to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sharmes6 and hairyspin like this.
  15. SixGhost

italy
    While work on consoles has somewhat stalled due to the sheer complexity of modeling the throttles, I decided to start something different to reset my brain for a while.

Ended up with an AIM-9L Sidewinder, an IRIS-T and a Smokewinder. The IRIS-T should be a first for MS sims. Here we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some details :) Total polycount of the three combined just a little over 10k

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Jun 2016
  16. AerobaticsFS

AerobaticsFS

netherlands
    That looks amazing!
    I think they are one of the most, if not the most detailed weapons for flightsim

Verstuurd vanaf mijn V3 Plus met Tapatalk

17. SixGhost

italy
    They might as well be, for some strange reason it seems weapons or flight helmets for example are mostly neglected when it comes to detail in flight sims. I have a thing for both instead.

18. sharmes6

sharmes6

australia
    Spectacular modelling. Some of the best I have ever seen.

Cheers,

19. SixGhost

italy
    Back with a tiny update. After a close inspection of the external model I compiled a list of things that I needed to update or correct. Some were minor, some were huge. The list had 52(!!) entries of which at least 3 of major importance. Now, since the external mesh was dated, moving vertexes around in what was basically a giant pile of compound curves proved next to impossible. Hence...

[​IMG]

This time I'm using subdivision modelling and it's SO much better!

20. SixGhost

italy
    Definetly onto something here!

[​IMG]