1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tarmac flood light - gmax

Discussion in 'GMax and 3DS Max' started by Seev, 8/1/05.

1. Seev

Seev

israel
    Hi guys,

I am new on this forum, but know a few of you guys from other discussions. Pleased to be here with you.

I am trying now for a long time to create light poles with a light circle on the tarmac (or any other concrete-asphalt surface) using gmax. So far I have a 90% solution that goes as follows;
    1. create the pole (no problem) - normal gmax object
    2. create a square plane polygon that sits a few centimeters above ground level. size 50x50 meters.
    3. make a day 100% transparent texture
    4. make a night texture with the light circle, adjust the dark parts so they fit into the concrete night color.

That solution works great except one problem, when in day and "cast shdow" is active in FS you can see a ghost shadow created by the polygon though there is no texture to see (it is transparent). It looks like a gray square. When "cast shadow" is off verything is 100% ok.

Have someone an idea how to solve that ???

Seev
  2. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    Hi Seev.

You can kill shadows for objects for FS9 MDL objects by either tweaking the ASM code, or directly within MakeMDL:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=608

Alternately, we've found it's quite possible to have landing lights, taxi lights, beacons... in FS9 scenery objects with some tweaking of ASM code...

from AVSIM:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php...ic_id=24559&mesg_id=24559&page=3&topic_page=3

The best use of these lights would be as a collection of Library Objects. Then they could be attached to other objects, or simply placed as needed.

This isn't to say your idea is wrong. I like your idea. You just need to kill the shadow.

Dick
    Last edited: 9/1/05
  3. Seev

Seev

israel
    Thanks for the reply.

In the avsim link you gave me I saw that Bill Leaming already solved the problem in a much better way than I had in mind, and since there is no point in inventing the wheel again I thought it would be a good idea to create a Rwy12 library for apron flood lights based on his solution. I sent Bill a mail about that.

Maybe I could do it myself, but the learning curve is too long.

Seev