1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taxiway Signs for 2002

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by tigerguy, 13/9/05.

1. tigerguy

tigerguy

I am a total beginner when it comes to scenery design. Short of making my own 3D macros however I have managed to put everything together to make some decent airports using FSSC, FSSE, and AFCAD.

But I can't figure out how to make taxiway signs! Apparently there is/was a program at TaxiwaySigns.com but this website doesn't seem to work anymore. I am using FS2002 and would like some way of putting vertical signs in. At the moment I just add small background BMPs of stand numbers etc using FSSC but these are drawn onto the apron and not as vertical signs.

Any suggestions for an (easy!) way to make these signs?

Thanks!
  2. José Bourgoignie

José Bourgoignie

belgium
    Hi,

I am running FS2002 too. By using "Groundmaker" (for FS2002) you can set taxisigns on your airport.
    These sign are however one sided textured, nightlighted but thin.
    Personally I think I will do the taxisigns in GMAX as a 3D object and lighted at nighttime... as in reality.

Greetz. José.
  3. SpectroPro

SpectroPro

us-ohio
    I use a great program I found that does just this. Takes a bit of getting used to, but within 20-30 minutes, you have great taxi signs. It works with fs, so you just move your plane (slew) to where you want the sign, and create a sign there. Very cool.

It's called Creatsign. Get it here:

http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/creatsign.zip

Make sure to check out the entire site. It's GREAT for finding resources.

Enjoy, and if you have any questions, contact me. I have mastered this program quite nicely.
  4. tigerguy

tigerguy

SpectroPro,

Thanks so much. Haven't used it yet, but this looks like exactly what I was after. To think I was bracing myself for designing them all in gmax!
  5. SpectroPro

SpectroPro

us-ohio
    Glad to help out. If you need any help with it, contact me and I will help you out. Like I said, if you have a lot to do, it is a pain in the butt. But it is very effective. I am currently redoing a bunch I had done as I added some taxiways and moved a few... There is no sort function, which would be extremely useful, so when you edit a sign you need to hunt it down. A real pain in a list of 200 signs. Especially when you have the same sign on 2 sides of a taxiway or rwy. The only different thing would be the location and direction facing. Very easy to screw it up. (just ask me, I know..heheheh)

- Greg
  6. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    One note, to me it seems that the CreateSign tool is for Fs2004 only, not for Fs2002. It creates a XML source file for Fs2004.
  7. tigerguy

tigerguy

Yes I've had trouble getting the file into FS2002. Is this not possible then? Help!
  8. SpectroPro

SpectroPro

us-ohio
    Arno, I would agree, that is how it seems, however I got it from Scenery.org. Here is what it says:

If that infor is incorrect, then I appologize. I made my original posting based on that information that it works with 2000, 2002, 2004.

On the other hand, if that is true, and it only works with 2004, then you really should upgrade. 2004 is about 2004 times better than 2002. 8)

hehe