1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texture detail problem

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by lambda, 20/2/06.

1. lambda

lambda

hungary
    Hi everyone,

i'm still working on a groundpoly and i've a problem. I use photoreal texture (satellit image tweaked by Photoshop) but in Fs2004 it is not so detailed. The resolution is 1024x1024 and it looks good in photoshop but not in FS. I tried something. In FlyTampa sceneries the ground is very detailed so i tried to apply a FlyTampa ground texture (1024x1024) to my groundpoly but it also looks bad however in original FlyTampa scenery is good. What i'm doing wrong? The texture isnt stretched on the poly. Maybe needed some options in gmax with the poly? I'm not good in gmax so i just place a plane then select UVW modifier and thats all. I don't change anything else.
  2. lambda

lambda

hungary
    Okay i solved this. There is a detail texture below the ground and the ground has got alpha channel.

Now another question about the measures:

In gmax i set a plane for example 800 meters x 800 meters. I make an api from it and load in GroundMaker. According to the grid settings in this program the api is about 1550m x 1550m. How can i fix this?
  3. ras78

ras78

italy
    Just a question: shouldn't be easy to place your groundpoly with Gmax? I ask you because I guess you can have more control about placement :)
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    This is because you must always use a scale of 0.5 when using GMax objects with API macros (note only when created with the Fs2002 gamepack, for the Fs2004 gamepack it is slightly different).
  5. lambda

lambda

hungary
    Thx for the answers Arno!

Ras78:

I also thought about it but i don't know how? Arno said the same as you :) So could you tell me how? I have got more ground polygons (made in gmax) so how can i place them directly? With setting the coordinates its very hard to lock them into each other.
  6. ras78

ras78

italy
    Hi,
    I've placed my ground using GP. I've used a QuadPatch grid in GMax, then, for each faces I've mapped a 512x512 texture. Next, I' moved my polygon tho center (0,0,0) than I've exported it into FS using the coordinates of a reference point I've choosed before. At this time, you have just to refine the placement

PS: I solved the "grid problem" posted few weeks ago. For each faces, with Uwrap UVW, I've move inside (1px for X & Y) each vertices, and so the grid disappeared :D
  7. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

That is nice to hear. But do you not get a different grid now, because the textures do not longer align 100%? Or is that not visible?
  8. ras78

ras78

italy
    Is not visible because my tweak affects all the textures, so in fact, the streching is minimum and you cannot see difference.
  9. arno

netherlands
    But I imagine that if I map all my textures so that the last pixel on the border is not drawn, that I will miss 2 pixels from my photo (one from each tile). So that you also give a sort of lines, as the photos no longer match exactly. Or did you do something else?
  10. lambda

lambda

hungary
    I'll also try this thanks!
  11. Jeffrey Stähli

Jeffrey Stähli

switzerland
    Well, I actually also map my groundtextures with a "1 px - margin" at the edges.
    I think it's the only secure way to get rid of those nasty border lines.
    To not loose the 2px you mentioned, I wrote a little script for GIMP which basically adds a resized duplicate layer on top of the original one. So I have also a good color matching at the edges.
    Yeah, the resolution degrades, but it's not that significant...at least no border line problem anymore in FS! :cool:

Jeff
  12. arno

netherlands
    Thanks Jeff, I might try this approach for my scenery as well. On 1024x1024 textures, 2 pixels lost is not big deal of course :).
  13. arno

netherlands
    I tried this technique on an airfield this weekend and it indeed works very well. Only if you look very very closely, you can spot where the two textures meet. Put compared to how it was, this is fantastic :).
  14. Fergo

Fergo

brazil
    Sorry to bump this thread, bu i'm having the same trouble and didn't understand very well what is is this 1px margin, etc. Could someone explain what is this and how to do it?

This is the airport that i'm making, yo can clearly see the white edges of eath tile:
    ( click do enlarge )
    [​IMG]

This is the situation of the ground polygon on Max:
    ( click to enlarge )
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Fergo
    Last edited: 11/7/06
  15. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

You have to do two things to get this working:

1. You need to design your texture so that it uses only 1022x1022 pixels (so the outside border of 1 pixel is not used). I do this by making a copy of my 1024x1024 texture and then resizing this on to 1022x1022. After that I copy it back onto the old texture, so that the 1 px border has about the same color as the texture next to it.
    2. Change the mapping of your texture on the polygon. This mapping should not use the entire texture, but only the 1022x1022 inside part. For example mapping between 0.01 and 0.99 gives almost this result (normal mapping is between 0.0 and 1.0).
  16. Fergo

Fergo

brazil
    Ok, i'll try this tomorrow, i'm tired now =p
    Thanks! =D

Fergo
  17. Fergo

Fergo

brazil
    Hum, OK. I did the thing with the texture. Now back in GMax. I'm using "UVW Mapping". The width/length of my polygon is 460,8 meters. So in the width/length of the MAPPING, I should use something between 460,8 and 461,8, that's it?

Thanks again!
    Fergo
  18. arno

netherlands
    Hi Fergo,

I guess that would also work, but you can also set the tiling to 0.99 instead of 1.0 or edit the mapping in Unwrap mode and enter the correct U and V values.