1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texture sizes

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by bpahe, 22/11/04.

1. bpahe

bpahe

sweden
    Hi everyone!

Which is preferable - large textures (bitmaps 1024x1024) "covering" many buildings, or many smaller textures (256 or 512 square) - one per building? The buildings are of approximatly the same size (i.e. no terminals combined with toolsheds). One of the reasons for asking is that I have a problem with a small sign which is blurred until you zoom it real close and then zoom out again - the texture on this one covers some 10% of a 512x512 bitmap.

I would really like to find out what you think - so this is not a cry for help... Fewer large bitmaps or several small ones?

Opinions?

/hans
    Last edited: 22/11/04
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Hans,

Difficult question. I think in general it is better to combine them as much as possible, as that will require in less loading files from the HD. But how big the influence on the performance really is I don't know.

About your blurry problem. Could it be that you are using the same texture on another part in the same scene? In that case it could very well be that the scale in the texture list is wrong, as it needs to be different for both parts. When the scale is wrong it could result in the wrong mipmap being loaded.
  3. bpahe

bpahe

sweden
    Hi!

Well, the problem right now is that it is the only object that is using that texture, in fact it is the only textured object in the whole scenery...

/hans
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hmm, I thought GMax always calculated the scale correct. Maybe you could check that? Just to be sure we can rule out this cause of blury textures.