• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS TEXTURES FULLY BLACK AT NIGHT (SOLVED)

Country
us-newyork
HI GUYS,

So I have this mesh on top of my aircraft. It keeps turning black at a certain time of the day. Normally slightly when the sun is at 1%.
This is a mesh exported from blender. I've followed the default aircrafts shading configurations and utilized default NORM & COMP textures as well yet no proper results.
The remaining decals all over this default aircraft using the Asobo PBR is normal at night. Even below a lamp light my custom mesh PBR is fully black. But it's at a specific time of the day always.
I wonder if anyone knows what I'm missing here.

I've also copied the json and flags files where needed.

Thank you. Looking forward some help.
Screenshot (2683).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (2682).png
    Screenshot (2682).png
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot (2685).png
    Screenshot (2685).png
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
Country
us-newyork
It could be day and night cycle thing. Looked at it on blender, it's off. In MCX the mesh is defined as a STANDARD with night cycle On. Yet, it behaves like it has the night and day cycle On.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It is your PBR texture, specifically the metallic one. Reducing metalness will remove the "shine," or you could reduce roughness to about a wet candy gloss. If when you look at metallic surfaces, you imagine how mirror sunglasses might react to sunlight, it helps to visualize, imo. The surface will be blackest when the angle between it, your point of view and the sun, is at it's flattest. For example, if sunlight is directly behind you and the PBR surface in front of you is somewhat parallel to the sunlight direction.

Country
us-newyork
It is your PBR texture, specifically the metallic one. Reducing metalness will remove the "shine," or you could reduce roughness to about a wet candy gloss. If when you look at metallic surfaces, you imagine how mirror sunglasses might react to sunlight, it helps to visualize, imo. The surface will be blackest when the angle between it, your point of view and the sun, is at it's flattest. For example, if sunlight is directly behind you and the PBR surface in front of you is somewhat parallel to the sunlight direction.
I will do this and get back to you.

Also, I would like to add that this seems to be happening to any items utilizing BLEND.

Country
us-newyork
So this only happens when is kinda dark in the day and it crashes with lamp lights or any artificial lighting in the airport. The decals fade out properly with the sun. Because I've done tests with no PBR as well. So now it's just the question of how to avoid this and what setting creates this.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
OK, so are you saying that you tired reducing your metallic value to lower than .7, or 200, 200, 200 RGB and the visual effect persisted?

Country
us-newyork
OK, so are you saying that you tired reducing your metallic value to lower than .7, or 200, 200, 200 RGB and the visual effect persisted?
I did. I even removed the metal completely. I think this is just another case of compatibility joint-issues of a plugin that might not work well anymore.

Country
us-newyork
I notice I don't get the
"ASOBO_material_blend_gbuffer" : {
"enabled" : true,
"baseColorBlendFactor" : 1,
"metallicBlendFactor" : 1,
"roughnessBlendFactor" : 1,
"normalBlendFactor" : 1,
"emissiveBlendFactor" : 1,
"occlusionBlendFactor" : 1
on my gltf.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Blend factors are not supported, only absolute PBR values, with "1" meaning full or PBR white and "0" meaning none, or PBR black. So by that metric, removing metal completely would be PBR color black or numeric value 0. I am pretty sure adjusting roughness values will not affect it, but that is another possibility. You've commented that you use a mesh, presumably this imbues transparency and the original surface is not in question, because the anomaly did not occur before?

Country
italy
Blend factors are not supported, only absolute PBR values, with "1" meaning full or PBR white and "0" meaning none, or PBR black. So by that metric, removing metal completely would be PBR color black or numeric value 0. I am pretty sure adjusting roughness values will not affect it, but that is another possibility. You've commented that you use a mesh, presumably this imbues transparency and the original surface is not in question, because the anomaly did not occur before?
Hi Rick, you sure about those Blend factors not supported by MSFS? They doesn't throw exceptions when compiling and the docu still have them mentioned

Country
us-newyork
The anomaly always ocured with decals on blend. But I got to fix the issue by adding:

"materials": [
{
"alphaMode" : "BLEND",
"extensions" : {
"ASOBO_material_blend_gbuffer" : {
"enabled" : true,
"baseColorBlendFactor" : 1,
"metallicBlendFactor" : 1,
"roughnessBlendFactor" : 1,
"normalBlendFactor" : 1,
"emissiveBlendFactor" : 1,
"occlusionBlendFactor" : 1
},
"ASOBO_material_draw_order" : {
"drawOrderOffset" : 4
},
"ASOBO_material_shadow_options" : {
"noCastShadow" : true

To the material. Now it lights up under lamp lights. Thank you for your support.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hi Rick, you sure about those Blend factors not supported by MSFS? They doesn't throw exceptions when compiling and the docu still have them mentioned
This is information I've learned from Arno, it's possible I'm mistaken but I'll explain what I know. I use MCX pretty extensively and this issue came up recently with conversions from P3Dv5 to MSFS and it had been specifically over PBR blend factors. The commenter uses MCX with universal material template displayed, while I keep my version restricted to the MSFS template, where those blend values are not displayed. I asked Arno about this and he replied those values are not supported, despite the fact some softwares allow settings adjustment.

However, alpha blend, or transparency blend, specifically for the "Blend" attribute, as well as cutoff threshold for "Mask," is fully supported, I apologize if I added any sort of confusion. If there is speculation, or belief about PBR blend factors being supported, I ask if you might create a demonstrative model.