• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Timed visibility parts (yes/no)

Country
nicaragua
Hi!
I have these hexagonal screens:
glass.JPG

I wanted to make them appear one by one in a timed sequence... The only problem is the number of objects that are going to be created by detaching the hexagons... The good thing is that I'll only need a code for the animation...
I've thought of another way: visibility parts.
Making groups of hexagons appear in a timed sequence... But I don't know if I can make only one code or several with time delays.
So my doubt is: what's better: a huge amount of objects or numerous scripts?
Ah, and how can I add a time delay to a script?

Country
australia
Yes its doable :) as to the best method I have no Idea
Wozza

Last edited:
Country
germany
About an EXIT OPEN sequence?
In the aircraft.cfg you regulates the duration.

[exits]
number_of_exits = 2
exit_rate.0 = 0.4 ;Percent per second
exit_rate.1 = 0.4 ;Percent per second

The smaller the value, the longer the time (1/Value = time in secounds).

(FS9)
Code:
<part>
	<name>part1</name>
	<visible_in_range>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<variable>EXIT2 Open</variable>
				<units>percent</units>
			</sim>
		</parameter>
		<minvalue>1</minvalue>
        </visible_in_range>

</part>

<part>
	<name>part2</name>
	<visible_in_range>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<variable>EXIT2 OPEN</variable>
				<units>percent</units>
			</sim>
		</parameter>
		<minvalue>2</minvalue>
        </visible_in_range>

</part>

<part>
	<name>part3</name>
	<visible_in_range>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<units>percent</units>
			</sim>
		</parameter>
		<minvalue>3</minvalue>
        </visible_in_range>

</part>

<part>
	<name>part4</name>
	<visible_in_range>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<units>percent</units>
			</sim>
		</parameter>
		<minvalue>4</minvalue>
        </visible_in_range>

</part>

<part>
	<name>part5</name>
	<visible_in_range>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<units>percent</units>
			</sim>
		</parameter>
		<minvalue>5</minvalue>
        </visible_in_range>

</part>

etc

That ought to work anyway.

Last edited:
Country
nicaragua
Well, if I was to use the canopy code I just had to animate the parts myself by sequence (they have a see-through side, so I just had to flip them). I wouldn't need so many codes, but the number of parts would make the plane really "heavy"...
My problem is that I'd like a single visibility code to make several parts appear by sequence. Can't I use keyframes to animate visibility?

Anyway, I'm going to try that, thanks!

Country
australia
Hi
I would probable do it this way :) that's not saying its the right way ;)
Use an L:var for the timer and control in a 2d xml gauge (could be 3d if you wanted to hide it).......
Code:
<Gauge Name="toc the tic" Version="1.0">
 <Update Frequency="6"/>
<Element>
    <Select>
	<Value>(L:trigger_switch_name,number) 1 ==  if{ (L:timer,keyframe) 1 + 1024 min (&gt;L:timer,keframe) } }
	</Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
</Gauge>
This is a very simple time function, max kf is 1024 in fs but can be set for any number of keyframes/parts up to 1024, the 1 + is the amount of kf added per cycle of the gauge, so that plus the <Update Frequency="#"/> can be modded to speed up/slow down the animation...down side it wont pause with the sim,this could be fixed with a bit more code ...

Then each part would have vis code attached to it, this is where the fun bit starts :)
Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>Vis_part_one</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
         1 1024 (L:timer,keyframe) rng if{ 1 } els{ 0 } 
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
</PartInfo>
<PartInfo>
    <Name>Vis_part_two</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
         2 1024 (L:timer,keyframe) rng if{ 1 } els{ 0 } 
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
</PartInfo>
<PartInfo>
    <Name>Vis_part_thre</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
         3 1024 (L:timer,keyframe) rng if{ 1 } els{ 0 } 
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
</PartInfo>
and so forth to max of 1024
the above will make the part "not show" on aircraft load, but show up a part at a time when (L:trigger_switch_name,number) = 1
if you want the reverse animation just reverse if and else statements.
(could be typos in the above and Ive never tried it on a large scale)
Cheers
Wozza

Country
us-arizona
XPand,

Here is one I have. This causes a prop cover set to appear over the 'still' prop after shut down has occurred, and a certain amount of time has passed.

The Gmax animation is the first block of code. The second code is for your planes panel file, and is a gauge XML code.

Now, you could create say 20 or 50 parts, each with a unique name, and then stack their ID's in the panel gauge code block to turn on at a certain point for each part.

Then create all the part codes for Gmax animation(Viz) code blocks, each with their own title, such as 'xpand_hexagon_five_01' 'xpand_hexagon_nine_01' 'xpand_hexagon_twentytwo_01' etc....

Then, you could run the timer based on an A: factor and or timer like exit opening, then wait 20 seconds, and then bing, bing, bing, the tiles start appearing, disappearing, etc. I think you want yours to show up one at a time, so each one would be timed differently, adding 1 or 2 or 5 seconds to each one. So part one appears in 5 seconds, then part two in 7 seconds, then part three in 9 seconds, etc..

Code;

Prop animation / viz code in Gmax parts list

Code:
<part> 
 <name>lhc_prop_cover</name>
  <visible_in_range>
   <parameter>
    <code>(L:lhc_prop_cover,enum) 1 ==</code>
   </parameter>
    <minvalue>1</minvalue>
   </visible_in_range>
</part>

Gauge code XML for hidden gauge (timer appearance command module?)

Code:
<Gauge Name="prop cover" Version="1.0">
 <Update Frequency="6"/>

<Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) 1 == (A:General eng rpm:1,RPM) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ (G:Var1) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt;G:Var1) (P:Local Time, seconds) 20 + 

(&gt;G:Var2) } } els{ (G:Var1) 0 &gt; if{ 0 (&gt;G:Var1) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>

<Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(G:Var1) 1 == if{ (P:Local Time, seconds) (G:Var2) &gt; if{ 1 (&gt;G:Var3) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>

<Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(G:Var3) 1 == if{ (L:lhc_prop_cover,enum) 0 == if{ 1 (&gt;L:lhc_prop_cover,enum) } } els{ (L:lhc_prop_cover,enum) 1 == if{ 0 (&gt;L:lhc_prop_cover,enum) } } 
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>

</Gauge>

Last edited:
Country
nicaragua
Uau, thanks guys, gotta try that when I have the time!

:D

Ah, and now, a bit off-topic: what exaclty does the Bias section mean? Does it convert from, for example, degrees to keyframes?

Last edited:
Country
australia
Uau, thanks guys, gotta try that when I have the time!

:D

Ah, and now, a bit off-topic: what exaclty does the Bias section mean? Does it convert from, for example, degrees to keyframes?
Hi
from the sdk ;)
"If the value returned and scaled does not fall into the desired range for the keyframes (for example, the range -50 to +50), then a bias can be added to all values to indicate which keyframe to use. A bias of 50 in this example will adjust the range to 0 to 100."

Its used when using the <sim> tags, if using <code> tags its expressed via the maths :)
Wozza

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates

Remember this formula:

keyframes = (simvar,units * scale) + bias

As Wozza wrote, the bias is used to offset the results to match the keyframe scale.

A simple example is this script for a turn coordinator ball. The simvar is returned as "position" with a range of -1.0 to 1.0. The scale is set to 50, and the bias to 50:

Code:
  <PartInfo>
    <Name>turn_ball</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
      <Parameter>
        <Sim>
          <Variable>Turn coordinator ball</Variable>
          <Units>position</Units>
          <Bias>50</Bias>
          <Scale>50</Scale>
        </Sim>
      </Parameter>
    </Animation>
  </PartInfo>

Let's calculate a few examples to verify our "math!"
(simvar,unit * scalar) + bias = keyframes

(-1 * 50) + 50 = 0 keyframe
(-0.5 * 50) + 50 = 25 keyframe
(0 * 50) + 50 = 50 keyframe
(0.5 * 50) + 50 = 75 keyframe
(1 * 50) + 50 = 100 keyframe

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
(pears over keyboard and mumurs 'ackk!' ).

And I thought Nuclear Physics and Time displacements during varied Quantum Mechanics translations to gravity and light were difficult..

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand

And I thought Nuclear Physics and Time displacements during varied Quantum Mechanics translations to gravity and light were difficult..

*whispers* Bill L. can probably also do more serious maths. remainders and such! :D

Country
australia

Just sit on ya head it all makes sense then :)

Bill O., that's 3rd grade arithmetic! :teacher:
Yeah but we are not 3 graders...... all those years take its toll :D

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
This reminds me of a current commercial wireless access commercial:

"Sometimes you have to pay more to be slower. Well, it makes sense if you don't think about it!"

Last edited: