1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool for converting mdl files to ms files

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by osman, 27/1/07.

1. osman

osman

germany
    Hi everybody
    I just finished writing a small tool that takes a FSX .mdl file and produced a MaxScript file that you can run in Gmax to reproduce the visual model. It is still only a beta version for testing. The .ms file output contains all LODs for the model together, so I advise you to split it up and use only one LOD at a time. It does not reproduce the material used, if you want to use the model you will have to do that yourself. The uv coordinates for the textures are given as comment with the vertices in order to facilitate the task of putting on a texture in Gmax.

Attached Files:

2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Thanks Winfried :)
  3. Burkhard

Burkhard

Thanks, Winfried, a nice tool.

When I apply it to my new FSX aircrafts, it terminates with an "unkown keyword in file" message. Do you want me to send an example, or do you still have enough your own?

I do see a great future for such a tool once we have to leave GMAX!
  4. osman

osman

germany
    Please send an example. I tested the program with static models only, aircraft models probably contain other sections which I have not included, but I would like to find out what they are
  5. Burkhard

Burkhard

Here comes a typical FSX AI aircraft, with multiple LODs, moving parts, etc.

If you want to see it textured, you can download the complete model from www.fsrail.com/MD87MX.exe

If you want the GMAX source, just drop me a note.

Burkhard

Attached Files: