1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traffic BGL file Help

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by jcop, 2/4/09.

1. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello All,

I would like to learn how to read the Traffic.BGL file structure with VB2008, has somebody already done this? I needs this for my program that is actually is reading the traffic files and recreates them in a datagridview.

Hope somebody will be able to send of the info.

kind regards,
    jcop
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I have never seen data on the structure of that BGL file type. So it might be hard.

Are you interested in all traffic data? Using SimConnect you can get the traffic around you when FSX is running.
  3. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello Arno,

No I'm thinking of just getting the data from each traffic BGL file, something like the tool that ACA2005 can do, just doubleclick on a BGL file wich is loaded in a datagridview, this would then need to open a new datagridview showing AC and LEGS that are flown. Since it's a VB2008 written tool, also FS2004 (for the moment) I'm curious how to actual read the binary data. Since tomas molitor could do this with his flightplanner util and also ACA1.2 can do this not mentioning the payware programs I assume that there must be a way. Opening the BGL in HEX only show the airport identifiers, but hence there must be a solution.

regards,
    jcop
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    There may well be but, as Arno says, it seems that no one has published the file format for the community as a whole.
  5. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Ok, then I think it's time to dugg into this :)
  6. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    The FS8 traffic file formats are explained very well by Lee Swordy in the TTools source code he released several years ago and presumably still available on Avsim. The format for FS9 was identical save for the addition of the TNG flag, I think. For FSX, the storage format of the DOW/time parameter was expanded to 24 bits and a flag to indicate this was added.

What is it you plan to do with the data once it's displayed. Have you checked out the capabilities of the existing traffic file decompilers, in particular, AI Flight Planner with its numerous display options.

Don
  7. jcop

jcop

belgium
    Hello Don,

I will definitly lookup this source code for ttools, I just want to create a tool like there once was (creator vanderlei martinelli and combine this with the tool created by garfield (Pvande veen, I tried to contact them but for Vanderlei mails didn't went very well, also Pvandeveen seems to be gone from the FS scene, my latest mail to him bounced back)

thanks for the support.

PS in the mean time I'm able to read the AC info from the BGL but still getting exceptions on the flightplan part.