• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v3 Transparent MDL on P3D

Hi,
i export from 3ds Max 9 a model using P3D SDK

Aces Tools > ExportLOD > Export

then Flag Build only MDL file > Export this MAX file!

Then copy MDL file to the P3D model folder, but when I load the Sim I can't see any mesh ( I have FlightX Material on my mesh ).
The plane is like transparent.

What could be the problem?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Is the .mdl size 0kb? In any event, the Aces tool is broken, you should export from File/Export.

Last edited:
Country
spain
From my own experience with Blender2FSX I think your problem can be caused for various reasons:

- Bad scale. Check scale and position of your model. Specially if the model is imported from other sources, the model can be very small and depending on the position,
it can hide near or below the terrain floor.
- Bad textures. Check that you have the required .DDS textures in the /textures folder. And not every .DDS is valid. DDS files from GIMP can be a problem. For this, I
use the texture converter which is a "special tool" in the model converter. You can import the texture files (been bmp, png or "wrong DDS") and convert them into
.DDS for FSX/P3D.
- It can be also a problem with LODs. For instance: if every part is _LOD_199 and then you create a part named Cylinder and you forget to change its name, in some
distances only the Cylinder will be shown and if this cylinder is very small, you won't see anything.
- In case it happens only to some parts of the model, it could be a problem of flipped faces, which use to occur after the use of mirror techniques. For instance: if you
have the right cockpit door and you make a copy and mirror along y axis to obtain the left door, you should reset scale of the new part (which would be 1,-1,1 and has to be 1,1,1 ; negative values in scale can make parts invisible) and then check if the faces are pointing outside. If not, flip all the faces (select all and then "flip all selected") and save. The order is important: first scale and then flip.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
He's not using Blender, he's using 3ds Max 9. Scale errors are flagged on export from Max.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It's when you try to export a model to FSX or P3D with one or more objects whose scale is not 1.0 (100%); the exporter coughs and throws an error. It's not a problem or error for Max, it is for FS. Same happens with Gmax.

Last edited:
Country
spain
That's one interesting feature. I spent many hours trying to figure why the right auxiliary fuel tank in my EC225 didn't show in FSX!
Having what you tell in consideration, points 1, 2 and 3 still remain as possible causes. Of course, there can be others... Regards.

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.
Use the Aces Tools export to set the GUID and Friendly Name then export. The resulting file can now be ignored.
All further exports must be done with Max's file export. This will create both the .X and .xanim files.
Use XtoMDL to compile the .X file to a .MDL. This is the model file needed for FSX or P3D.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I just use the tool to create the GUID and give it a Friendly name. I've never tried to export from that tool. Saving the .max file is sufficient to 'lock' the GUID and Friendly name into the file.