1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transparent Models

Discussion in 'ModelConverterX' started by andyjohnston.net, 27/2/10.

1. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    Hi,

I have an odd issue with some models (but not all) I've imported into FSX.

During the day, they're fine. But at night, the y become transprent, and I can see autogen scenery right through them. I figured it was the textures but I've checked and they're all DXT1 types with no alphas, the same as with the models that work correctly.

Any idea what might cause this?
  2. robystar

robystar

Hello,

It might help to pinpoint the problem if you can tell us what source (Collada, Gmax, FSDS?) you are importing from, what kind of textures you are importing and whether the textures that show transparent at night do also have a night texture variant (xxx_LM.xxx).
    If you use dxt1 (no alpha) how do you define transparent models? As normal models transparent at night?
  3. andyjohnston.net

andyjohnston.net

ca-ontario
    They are Google Earth kmzs. They have day textures which I convert using MCX to DXT when exporting them, then create _lm versions.
  4. robystar

robystar

Hi,

In that case i suggest you export your GSU model as a dae file, open it with MCX and make sure you have clicked on the set default opaque tab in the material editor of MCX. Use a new GUID and name to be sure and export again as DXT3, maybe?
    Never heard of this problem before, to be honest. The other way round, yes, (i.e. transparent textures not showing up transparent).
  5. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi Andy,

Do you maybe have a file that would allow me to test this problem?