1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS2004 Transparent Taxiway Signs

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by b3burner, 15/4/12.

1. b3burner

b3burner

unitedstates
    I'm reworking Brand Airport (2V2) in Longmont, Colorado.

I moved a few runways around... actually made the airport smaller to look more like a rural, private airport. I moved some of the existing taxi signs around, edited their signage as needed, and in other cases added some more of my own to taste. (In all reality, I know nothing of proper signage as I'm not an aviator in real life, but I find it fun placing them on the side of runways and taxiways just to teach myself more about the ADE program).

However, now to the problem: In spot view, and to some extent in cockpit or V-cockpit view, from certain angles the signs go blank, or turn black, or turn transparent to match the same coloring as their shadows against the landclass below them. It's something I had not previously noticed in default airports, but I am noticing it in my remake of Brand (see screen shot comparsion):
    [​IMG]

1. It doesn't do it all the time, only from certain angles and in certain views.
    2. More apt to happen when zoomed in beyond 1.00x... less likely when zoomed back.
    3. Mainly happens in slew mode, though I have caught it happening in regular mode, cockpit view if I have my Cessna 172 within 20 feet of a sign.

I thought adding a flattening polygon to the airport to ensure that all the taxi signs are sitting at the same elevation as the airport would help, but it still does it.

I thought placing a small concrete apron (to act like a poured cement slab) under each individual sign would help... but no it didn't.

I tried adding back the stock taxi signs to my .ad2 file and recompiling them (thinking it was the ones I created myself that were causing the problem), but the stock taxi signs did it too.

In most cases if I try to replicate the problem in a stock airport, it won't happen... but I did find at least one case where it did.

Does anyone know what I might be able to do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

-- John

EDIT: Just thought of one more thing. In the taxi sign label edit menu, I was adding extra character spaces so that the edges of the signs were not right up against the numbers and letters. Could blank spaces in the labeling code be causing my problem... or most likely not?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 15/4/12
  2. b3burner

b3burner

unitedstates
    Well Jon...

Per our private message on this subject, I believe you were right. It is a problem unique to my computer and most likely video (graphics) driver related.

I rolled back my driver to the previous, thinking that the recent update I performed in February might have been to blame. However, driver rollback ='ed blue screen... so I quickly thought better of that idea, and reinstalled the latest driver for my system. Both drivers created the transparency issue, so it's not like one was ever vastly better than the other.

Interesting, that time of day also affects the "transparency" of the taxi signs from certain angles. They seem to do better with low angle sun near the horizon (either AM or PM), than bright overhead sun closer to midday. Go figure... I don't know why that would make a difference, but that's what I've noticed thus far.

-- John
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Well at least there is some sort of explanation even if it is not a solution.#