1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to develop an AI install stretegy with UT2 and boat traffic, Please advise

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by duckbilled, 17/11/09.

1. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    Hello,

I have UT2 and I am now starting to add all of the missing traffic (cargo, military, other airlines...) I'm starting with WofAI cargo.

I understand that as a general rule, FSX style FP's and FS9 style fp's can not coexist.

1. Some scenery (FlyTampa TNCM, Vancouver+, FlyMex) have installed what appears to be boat traffic. Some is FSX and some is in fs9 format and I haven't confirmed what is actually showing up in the sim. Can non aircraft traffic be converted to FSX?

2. Since UT2 doesn't install traffic.bgl's, can it co exist with FS9 style traffic? And if it can, am I correct that I will still see boat and car traffic as they are handled as autogen and not traffic? I don't really care if the flights are a day off. Most flights will be correct within UT2 anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out what the best format is. I'm especially concerned about the scenery boat traffic files. The more scenery I add, the more they will be installed. I'm guessing they could be a mix of formats and if they can't be converted, I want to choose the format that will work in most cases.

Thanks, Jeff
  2. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    A little RTM has helped me with some of the issues. I now realize that the Vancouver+ FS9 traffic is in the cache folder and is not installed. The bgls are just there in case I wanted to install them. FSX traffic bgl's are installed for that scenery.

The flymex thing has me stumped. When I do a search for fs9 traffic, it finds a bgl with the path fsx\FM\APTSUR\scenery\TRAPTSUR.bgl.

When I try to open it, aifp doesn't list as an available traffic bgl to open.

Is this traffic? I really hope it isn't some bizzaro bgl file with traffic and scenery making it impossible to remove and resulting in negating FSX traffic.
  3. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    I think a traffic file has to have the word "traffic" in the title for FSX and AIFP to open it and use it as such.

I don't have UT2 but aren't there settings in it to deal with default traffic?

If you still have default traffic, run UT2 and see if both are there.

Seems to me that since UT2 does not load traffic bgls then ther should be no conflict as is is the file format that is the problem between FSX and FS9 bgls.

FWIW I run default traffic with repaints so I have real world looking traffic.

Bob
  4. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Jeff, re your first post, I cant be of much help. Perhaps someone else will jump in. That being said, there have ben several posts in this forum (and, I'm sure, in other forums as well) regarding boat and vehicle traffic. You may wish to check some of the older posts.

Re your second post, I don't have that addon. If you send me the problem file, I'll take a look at it. (When AIFP looks for FS9 files, it only looks at the header data. It doesn't check whether or not there's any useable data.)

Not true - at least for AIFP. If the file header indicates its a traffic data, AIFP will try to load it. However, naming traffic files as "traffic_....bgl" is pretty much the norm.
    Don
  5. duckbilled

duckbilled

us-michigan
    Thanks for the help. I think I have answered most of my questions by experimenting throughout the last few days.

Boat traffic - I think everything I have seems to be working. I don't know about the carriers or freighters. I read they could be an issue but I don't wee them very often anyway. Pleasure boats and cars appear just fine. Nonetheless, I have converted all FS9 traffic to FSX traffic anyway.

When I was experimenting, I found that UT2 traffic will work with FS9 and FSX traffic .bgl's.

Thanks again,
    Jeff
  6. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Thanks, Don, good to know. must be a holdover from something else.

Bob