1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding Time Zone

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by hefy_jefy, 31/10/08.

1. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

us-california
    I am quite new to this although I used TTools in FS2004 somewhile back, I always had difficulty figuring out the time correctly, so I was pleased to see that there is Time Zone drop down. But I am having some problems understanding what this actually does. My local airport is KMRY which is UTC -8 my assumption was that I could set the Time Zone to UTC -8 and that I could for example enter a departure time of 08:00 and because the Time Zone was set to UTC-8 the entry in the actual flight plan and traffic BGL would be 16:00 giving me a local departure time of 08:00 - but thats not what I see.

Another question: I want to set up a flight sequence that repeats every 2 hrs starting at 09:00 but I can't figure out how to do that...

Thanks for any help,

Geoff
  2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Hi, Geoff

Don will be alone to answer a little better, but let me start you out.

I set my time zone to UTC Grennwich Mean. Seems to give me the departure time I want. Not the best answer, but a place to start.

There are two ways to handle your second question. If you remember your ttools, write the plan in text form, open it in AIFP and have it change it into FSX when you compile. You would also need an aircaft and airports list.

Or fill in the boxes in the AIFP window. Don't forget Reg. number and target version.

I don't know how far you've gotten. I start with "Collect Airports" from the AIRPORTS menu. Then "Add New Aircraft" from the AIRCRAFT munu. Select your plane from the AIRCRAFT LIST pull down. Then you can start filling in boxes.

Have fun.

Bob
  3. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Hefy Jefy, starting with Release 1.5, all times displayed by AI Flight Planner reflect the setting of the timezone dropdown and related buttons. If you select UTC-8, every time you see will be based on that time zone. However, all these times are converted to UTC when the text file is written or the flight plans are compiled.

If you select local time, all the times displayed will reflect local time at whatever location they apply. For example, If your departure airport is in UTC-8 and you plan a 4 hr. flight to UTC-6 departing at 0800 local, the departure time will be shown as 0800 and the arrival time will be shown as 1400 (0800 + 4 hrs travel time + 2 hrs time offset.

The only way you get to see UTC time is if you select UTC in the dropdown list or open the text file.

Re the two hour repeat, set your departure time to 0100 with a repeat interval of 2 hrs. The flight will depart at 0100, 0300, 0500, 0700, 0900, etc. Of course, it must reach its destination and return within two hours. However, if you wish to set up multiple longer flights that depart every two hours commencing at 0900 until some time in the evening, say, there's no way to do this other than creating multiple flight plans.

Hope this answers your questions.

Don
  4. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy

us-california
    OK Don,

I was looking at the times in the text edit window and expecting to see the time zone adjustment there, but the adjustment is made at compile time - thats OK.

I will give this a try.

Many thanks