1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update the FSX static navigation data

Discussion in 'BGLComp XML, AFCAD, SceneGenX' started by lovedavid78, 17/11/07.

1. lovedavid78

lovedavid78

The navigation data in FSX is static. As far as I know, it was frozen around spring 2005. This data is stored in the scenery files and that's the data that is used by FSX's built in GPS, VOR, NDB as well as AI traffic and ATC. Of course, I have to use that data, too.

There is a well known company that offers monthly updates of this data (aka AIRAC cycles). As far as I know, currently this data is not compiled into scenery files that FSX understands. Its still external data, so FSX and all its built in stuff doesn't use it.

In my humble opinion, that doesn't make much sense. To use that data in its present form, you need an ATC add on, an AI traffic add on and add on aircraft that all support that external data.

The FSX SDK contains tools to create scenery files. This monthly data updates should be compiled into scenery files, so that FSX and all its built in components could use it too. I don't understand why that last important step is skipped.

So everybody, who know a convenient way to merge the monthly updates with FSX BGL files.

the BGL files is too more....the nav dates too...

thanks...
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Unfortunately I do not think it is that simple.

You cannot remove or hide stock navaid data. In many cases you cannot change the identifiers or in some cases move locations. So while it is possible to create a bgl file containing updated navaids the original ones would still appear in the position and with the properties they always had.

The only way is likely to involve rebuilding the entire navaid blg files - and in some cases the airport bgl files as well and then replacing the stock files - not a very practical approach
  3. lovedavid78

lovedavid78

so did anybody do this job? make the BGL files with a newest NAV DATE.

thanks scruffyduck
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Not that I know of - and why given the problems?
  5. lovedavid78

lovedavid78

the FSX 's NAV datas is oldest...

And the add- one aircraft's FMC (example:pMDG wilco) have newest NAV datas

so that i can't ILS some airposts. or the diffents multi-player have different NAV datas is big problem when cooperating flight together.

scruffyduck,do you know some other way to do this problem?
  6. jvile

jvile

Some payware aircraft do not use the default navdata. I do not think anyone has developed a utility that converts a way to merge the monthly updates with FSX BGL files.

What airports have commissioned a ILS since the relaese of FSX that you are having trouble with?
  7. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    I did! (At least for waypoint/fixes and for navaids) you can find it here http://precisionfsn.com/
  8. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    Didn't even know about this! I think maybe you need to do some more marketing. Has this product ever been reviewed on avsim for flightsim?

scott s.
  9. jvile

jvile

In your notes you say

This is just one small problem that causes FS to CTD. When updating any type VOR, FS also uses a companion Route Waypoint in certain cases.

Any Navaid in FS uses a fallback method. This is intentional so if someone moves a VOR it will duplicate. Each type Navaid duplicates at different distances including a simple Localizer.

FS did not give us a simple way to update the Nav database. It would require decompiling and writing a complete route structure in XML and then compile all the FS stock BGL's.

If the GPS is updated with Waypoints then these become pure World WAYPOINTS in the database. Many of the WAYPOINTS i have looked at from 3rd party are duplicates. When you compile a WAYPOINT in a seperate bgl it becomes just that a World owned WAYPOINT.

FS and the GPS use many TERMINAL_WAYPOINTS which are owned by the airport and not the world navaid database.

There are certain property's that can be changed for each type Navaid (VOR, NDB, Localizer, Marker, etc) but moving them is a No-No.
  10. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    I was aware of the problems involved in doing this project. (I did do research and testing). What I did was completely remove stock navaid data, and replace it with updated information from public domain sources. I also included the navaid's associated waypoints so any change in VOR location would cause the route structure to move also to reflect that change. Just in case someone didn't like my update, I included a handy backup utility the user can run during the installation. When they uninstall it, they just run the restore utility I included with the update. As for problems with the waypoint database? Waypoints can be moved fairly easily; the only problems I've noticed is new terminal waypoints which are not defined in the airport files already appear as pink(route) instead of blue(terminal GPS). (Oh well).
  11. Bambi_007

Bambi_007

germany
    I am doing this *Job* for myself since the FSNavigator for FS9 has stopped.

I have two installed FS9 - one is only default - it is for me the *running* backup. I do nothing with this - they stand only for me as a backup system.

The other is my Game - in this I do flying, make some changes, install sceneries and in this is FSNavigator also running since many, many years.

I buy the Navigraph updates every month when they offer a FSNavigator update. And I use this to become the files for the Navaids that I never will touch like Airways - do never touch an Airways, you will become so massiv Problems that you never will have it.

I have hundreds of SID and STARS made for FSNavigator since the last Years - all made by hand - and I am so thankful for JonĀ“s ADE - in this I can see because my Terminal_Waypoints and the STARS are really work. With this - the ADE and bgl compiler and de-compiler i change the Navaids - but never Isecs they are stay in Airways. Never - Never - Never.

Oh I will not forget Jim Ville - from him I have many learned in the past over ISECS and Terminal-waypoints and all the related things over there. All the Things that I have can read in this Forum. At this Point I will say Thank You Jim. Thank you FSDeveloper.com and all the unnamed Persons here.

Arrrrrrrgh - this will be a No Go.
    If I use your Database - my FSNavigator will liften his back - and will stop to make Flightplans.
    Last edited: 11/3/12
  12. wilevi93

wilevi93

us-alaska
    Well, you can at least try it. The waypoint update is very easy to uninstall. (And it's free)
  13. jvile

jvile

Since I have to pay before I can see what I am getting, does the above statement mean you decompiled the stock NV bgls and made the changes to that file?