1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using 3DSMax

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by cscboulder11, 27/4/12.

1. cscboulder11

cscboulder11

us-colorado
    My CAD teacher recently brought to light that I can use AutoCAD software for free as a student, and I would prefer modeling in 3DSMax 2012 over gmax (besides Sketchup and FSDS, that's the only alternative, right?) Now, I know that the FSTools don't work with the 2012 version, but I was wondering if it would be possible to use a 'stepping stone' thing for converting, sending models from 2012 to another Autodesk program that can send the files to gmax for GUID assignment and export.

Is this, as I suspect, something that can't be done?
  2. Hughes-MDflyer4

Hughes-MDflyer4

us-california
    Rather than port to another program, you could always download the Prepar3D SDK. The tools and documentation have been updated to support the latest version of 3DS Max.

http://www.prepar3d.com/downloads/?did=22
  3. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    Never mind... :)
  4. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    No brainer

The 3 years free licence to bona fide students is a great deal and a terrible blow to all those genuwine selers on eBay with copies they dont need right now for sale real cheep buy it now yeah? :p Thank you Autodesk - never thought I'd say that....

Go for it! :D
  5. bob5568

bob5568

Interesting, when I bought my student license it was not bounded by time, AND was not free..I think I paid some $300. US for it.

The great news was when I finally felt ready to buy a full license, my friendly VAR informed me that my aging student license was "upgradeable", making my entire investment in 3dsmax come to only about half the list price.
  6. hairyspin

unitedkingdom
    Nowadays you can upgrade from up to three versions ago, so Max versions from 2010 onwards are still eligible. If you're using older versions it's full whack, ouch :eek:
  7. bob5568

bob5568

That's what I had heard also, so imagine my surprise when they let me upgrade my max9 student license.

Maybe the rules for upgrade are based on the rules in place when you buy your student license.
  8. Aviasim

Aviasim

unitedkingdom
    Please remember that if your license is listed as "student license", you can not make anything for anyone apart from your own personal use. So, basically you can not make a "freeware" airport and upload it for other flight simmers to use it, and especially can not make a "payware" airports for flight simmers to buy and use it.

To do such things mentioned above, you would have to pay the full price for it.

Reading the EULA explains all of this in detail.

Also, even if your brought 3ds max from somewhere like eBay etc, that is illegal and against their rules, you would be prosecuted for obtaining that copy from that private seller and also the seller would be prosecuted.

To put it simply, if you don't pay their price of about $3000 or more, you dont have the license to build things in 3ds max and give/sell them to anyone
  9. cscboulder11

cscboulder11

us-colorado
    Oy...I knew about the payware part, but I thought I would be safe with the freeware part. I'll have to give the EULA a look again. If it does restrict any model distribution, looks like gmax is the only thing. No way I'm paying big bucks for a full version.

I don't have Prepar3D, but it may be worth getting if I can use Max.
  10. Hughes-MDflyer4

Hughes-MDflyer4

us-california
    That's why I said get the SDK. You don't need P3D...just its SDK. The exporter exports the exact same formats as FSX. The tools are just updated to support the latest 3DS Max. ;)
  11. cscboulder11

cscboulder11

us-colorado
    Makes sense. Still need to check out the EULA first.
  12. hairyspin

unitedkingdom
    I think that rather overstates the case: it's the use of that copy that's governed under the EULA, not possession of the media, and I doubt the Feds would hunt you down for that. Any copy of Max will run for 30 days before you must register with Autodesk and obtain an activation code from them. After that 30 day period the software is useless without activation, wherever you got it from: previously activated copies are therefore dead in the water.

Student and Educational versions are however restricted as you say.
    Last edited: 28/4/12
  13. mgh

mgh

unitedkingdom
    /

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/2012-m_e_lsa-english-all_other_countries.pdf
    Last edited: 28/4/12
  14. cscboulder11

cscboulder11

us-colorado
    gmax it is then. Bummer, as I was looking forward to using Max.
  15. MatthewC

MatthewC

unitedstates
    I am a student learning CAD at my school and they gave us the student version of 3dmax 9 for free, and a discount if you want to buy the home or pro.
  16. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    Matthew,

Autodesk offer a free version of 3DSMax 2012 to Students or the Unemployed.

The ISSUE is the restrictions on the content you make and what you are allowed to do with it.

I was a little surprised to read above that you were not even allowed to distribute free content.

Just something to further factor in when you are making things.
  17. kdryan

kdryan

us-indiana
    I was under the impression that anything newer than 3ds Max 9.something wouldn't work with FSX...
  18. MatthewC

MatthewC

unitedstates
    yeah anyway its on a school laptop they give us which they blocked everything lol :(
  19. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
    As most discussions about EULAs go, it's best to clarify any questions about legalities with the software manufacturer... in this case AutoDesk. Opinions about EULAs found here or in other forums are to be viewed as opinions... not necessarily fact.

For example, nowhere did I find any restrictions on the usage of AutoDesk creations, or derivative creations, in a not-for-profit distribution at the AutoDesk website. But again, that would only be my opinion that the student or unemployment license may allow freeware distribution of scenery or aircraft.

Members of the forum need to do their own research, and contact Autodesk if confusion persists.

At all times, members should protect themselves from legal difficulties when pursuing FS as a hobby or business, by doing their own research, and contacting the relevant software or data distributors.

Also, a lack of response from a copyright holder does not mean they allow your usage. Get affirmative feedback before distributing any scenery or aircraft if needed, and guarantee your legality. A lawsuit from a corporation can crush you financially... even if you are in the right! It's always best to avoid angering the giants, in the hope that they will not squish you.

Dick
  20. hcornea

hcornea Resource contributor

australia
    but will work with Prepar3D's SDK