1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Variable Speed Fans

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by Sam, 1/6/07.

1. Sam

Sam

unitedstates
    I am in the process of designing a Hang Glider Simulator for a Museum in Helena, Montana. We have gotten to the point where we have completed the basic simulator, and would now like to add features to make the simulator more realistic.

We would like to have a variable speed fan linked into flight simulator. The fan would act as wind blowing on the occupant's face as they flew.
    My question is, how can I hook up a fan to Flight Sim, so that when your airspeed increases, the fan blows harder, and when your airspeed decreases and you approach a stall, the fan slows down so that you can gauge your speed through the air as you could in real life.

I am good with computers, and I know my way around the FSX directories and how FS works, but I don't really know any kind of programming.
    Is this something that I could do? I was told I need to use SimConnect, which I have. However, when I went into the SimConnect folder, I really didn't understand how it worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sam T.
    www.rotomotos.com
  2. jcboliveira

jcboliveira

portugal
    You need to write a small program that reads the indicated airspeed from FS. This program could use simconnect. After that you need to put the values outside the PC.

One solution is to use the serial port and a small microprocessor (maybe a PIC) comunicating with it and controlling the fan.

Maybe you can contact a profissional high school (or something simillar in US) and ask if they can do it for you. Of course a Bachelor in EE should be able to do it in no time.

José