• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

VASI 4-22

Hello all,

Any difference between VASI-4 (box) & VASI-22?

Thx

No difference

The VASI-4 (box) meaning there are a total of 4 lights. The VASI-22 (2 lights spaced apart in 2 rows = 4 lights) is how ADE show the selection of the VASI4 system as per the SDK. The standard spacing between each bar of lights is 300 ft. as seen when selecting these types of visual slope indicators with ADE. However that is a standard and many airports use different spacing between each bar of lights.

What is a VASI-22? The AIM (2-1-2) only lists 2, 4, 6, 12, and 16 light configurations.

The AIM's tell us the amount of light's in a configuration. In order for any airport utility such as ADE to select the proper light configuration it must be coded to do so.

A box is a light so if I have 2 rows and 1 box = 2 light configuration as per the AIM
As per the AIM you can only have a maximum of 6 lights on one side of a runway. To get 12 or 16 lights you have to use VASI32 or VASI33 on both sides the runway. VASI32 (3 rows + 2 lights = 6 lights) on one side and 6 on the other side = AIM 12 lights.

The AIM allows a 16 light VASI configuration. As per the ADE list I use VASI33. The near row has 3 lights, middle row has 3 lights and the far row has 2 lights (total of 8). Place a VASI33 on both sides the runway and you have the AIM 16 light configuration

As per ADE and the SDK

VASI21 2 rows, 1 box/row
VASI22 2 rows, 2 boxes/row
VASI23 2 rows, 3 boxes/row
VASI31 3 rows, 1 box/row <<<<----- 3 lights no longer currrent per AIM but some airports still have them
VASI32 3 rows, 2 boxes/row
VASI33 3 rows, 3 boxes/row = 8 lights NOT 9 (far row has only two boxes, 8 light system)

Country
us-northcarolina
Thanks Jim for the explanation in great details. I didn't know the if's and but's but I had the feeling they referred to the same animal.
I found this very good visual description for each: http://bayareapilot.com/vasiPAPI.htm

Did you ever finish the realistic approaches at KATL? I remember it was a big project of yours a couple years ago.

Last edited: