1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VC++ Express 2005 for FS projects Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by lordofwings, 15/6/07.

1. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    I have spent a great part of the day googling around and looking into a lot of links that lead to no useful information.

I would like to know if and where is a tutorial for writing modules and/or tools for flight simulator using the Microsoft VC++ 2005.

Has been a long time since I did C++ but that is not the problem. I have done the following:

- downloaded and installed the MS VC++ 2005 Express edition.
    - downoaded and installed the MS Platform SDK
    - Updated the path of the projects (Options|Projects&Solutions) for executable, include and library
    - Updated corewin_express.vsprops file to include the additional dependencies

I am lost with the following:

- When I create a new project, should it be a CLR project or a Win32. I don't think it is CLR (that is supposed to be managed) but the Win32 project wizard does not offer the choice of DLL/Console, it simply puts a gun on your forehead and lets you choose "Win32 console application"

- If I want to develop a module that has a user interface (just like FSPassenger does), should I select "DLL" or "Windows application"
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I use VS2005 but not the Express Editions. I am not using C++ but C# so can't give a definitive answer except to say give each option a try. Well using the CLR does not necessarily mean using managed code. There are some other free C++ IDEs out there are well so if VS2005 C++ does not suit then do a Google for alternatives. Bloodshed Dev C++ is one that I have used in the past.
  3. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    Finally I got the Modules sample to compile successfully. It is the same Module (DLL) that simply implements an FS Menu which is posted somewhere in these forums.

So, I placed my brand new .DLL in the FS9's Modules directory. I started FS9 and saw a dialog saying that a "potentially incompatible DLL ..." but I said it was ok so it was to be loaded.

So two questions:

1. How do I make FS9 to recognize my module as not-incompatible?

2. The simple sample actually does not produce any menu entries in the flight simulator menu. Am I missing something?

3. I tried to include the gauges.h from the Panel SDK but got a bunch of errors. Anybody ad that? don't I need to link to some other library?