1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtual Cockpit Shadows Questions - Please

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by Windows_98, 17 Jun 2017.

1. Windows_98

Windows_98

brazil
    Hello, hope you are well.

Could you please help me?

I have been working unsuccesfully to create VC Shadows for many days.

It does not work and I cannot find good sources of information in the internet.

- DirectX 10 is activated in my FSX;

- Volume Shadow is set in Gmax;

[​IMG]

- No shadow is rendered in VC in FSX;

- I have read something about "manifold geomtery", a geometry totally closed without holes. How can I check it? The frame of my canopy is already closed, without any holes;

- FSX Material in Gmax has many many options to set, which one should I set to have correct shadows? Do I need to set Volume Shadow to cast shadows or to receive shadows?

Thanks!
    Matheus

Last edited: 19 Jun 2017
  2. Windows_98

Windows_98

brazil
    Somebody could help me? I have been searching for a solutions for weeks!

I am using Gmax and I know that I can have Virtual Cockpit shadows.

Could you please look these informations?

- DX10 is activated;

- According to this post, manifold geometry is no longes necessary (http://vps-8048-2348.cloud.tilaa.com/forum/threads/manifold-geometary-and-volume-shadow.124104/);

- I just created 2 box (manifold geometry) to test Virtual Cokpit shadows, but they are not there!

- What I am forgetting?

GMAX:
    [​IMG]

EXPORT:
    [​IMG]

FS Exterior:
    [​IMG]

FS Interior (Virtual Cockpit): no shadow!!
    [​IMG]

3. Windows_98

Windows_98

brazil
    Sorry for the incovenience, but does somebody know if Virtual Cockpit shadows is indeed possible with Gmax? I cannot solve it. It if is not possible with Gmax, I will stop working on it.

Also tried to put double sided instead of volume shadow. It did not work :/

4. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I never really saw interior shadows well, or at all, in FSX. Also, you must have it 'on' (ticked on or activated, somewhere in settings, if I remember correctly).

Manifold parts means no openings, and that is true with FSX.

With Prepar3D, they have 'real' interior shadows and they look outstanding, amazing, and they even have some variance in the shading, like its Ambient Occlusion.

With FSX, for more reality, you can hand paint the shading onto your textures, as you know, to help it with looking nicely shaded in FSX. Or people could get P3D and see the interior shading. P3D uses DX-11 technology. More advanced, better, smoother.

I purchased Max just for making interior shadows on parts. Its called Ambient Occlusion renderings, makes a shading layer in your planes parts, textures, mappings. But now, P3D can do this 'in-game' which is impressive. But I still like to make them (render them). For years, I had to make them by hand and it took me ages to get them to align in their uniformity.

So, make sure your shadows are turned on in FSX...

I hope that helps you out.

Bill
    LHC

5. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Here are some samples of planes in Prepar3D, interior shadows flowing like crazy. Same planes in FSX look absolutely horrible, almost zero shadows. Remember, FSX is like 11 or 12 years old. P3D is state of the art, the old platform reborn several times over.

owenfwe.JPG 2016-6-8_23-2-16-838_copy-1135x619.jpg

Note that tons of those parts that have shadows are 'not' manifold. Single surfaces...

6. Windows_98

Windows_98

brazil
    "lionheart", just bought P3D v4.

Shadows are there! Thanks!

But my canopy glass behave straight differente from FSX, it is normal? Should I recompile with 3DS MAX? I am using Gmax.

Matheus

7. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Experiment with your glass. I increase my transparency and its better. V4 glass is different then FSX glass...

8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Also note that now, with the modern versions of Max and the V1 thru V4 SDK's, your polygon limitations are wiped out. You can export 1/2 million polygon projects now. Your plane you have, you can increase its geometry to be as smooth as you like now...