1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista "Hanging" on Start-up of AIFP

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by gadgets, 4/6/09.

1. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    There is a user in Finland who is experiencing the occasional "hang" by Vista when he starts AIFP, but, apparently, only when in Supervisor mode. The problem seems to be related to AIFP requesting the update control file from the server.

Is anyone else experiencing such problems?

Don
  2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Don

By Supervisor, do you mean Administrator? On my Vista machine, I never install anything important in, or run anything from the Program Files folder. Plus, I have UAC turned off. As a result, I never have to run anything As Adimnistrator. My AIFP is in my Downloads folder, for example.

Bob
  3. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Yes. Thanks for pointing that out, Bob

The problem occurs infrequently and, to my knowledge, no one else has reported anything similar. I suspect it's an interface/protocol problem between Vista and the Finnish network since the code involved is simple and standard - create a handler for when the file arrives, request the file using a WebClient.OpenReadAsync instruction and exit - and seems to work otherwise.

Don
  4. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    I have Vista Home Basic. My wife just got a laptop with Home Premium. Both are 32 bit ,but they handle things differently, sometimes. I can't put my finger on the difference. I wouldn't be surprised if 64 bit is even more different. Do you program in Finnish?

Bob
  5. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    No, just happens the user having the difficulty is in Finland.

I've recently upgraded my system and am now using Vista 64. Other than "wandering off into never-never land" occasionally and often giving an e-mail/Outlook error when it "wakes-up" from hibernate mode, it seems to be working OK.

I'm assuming that, given the lack of response, my Fininsh users-problem is unique and, probably as I suspected, an interfacing problem to the Finnish network.

Don