1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visual C++ 2008 IDE Setup

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by besjr69, 2/7/08.

1. besjr69

besjr69

us-georgia
    First off, I apologize if this has been addressed in previous posts. I can't find the Sticky anywhere. I've been using VC '97 to develop gauges for quite some time. I have developed a very complex Flight Management System that uses MFC, DAO and GDI. Now that the '08 Express Edition is free, I thought I could use it to develop gauges. I tried compiling my gauge along with the sample in the FS9 SDK. I get several errors and it appears that all of the MFC header are missing in the Express edition. I tried adding the old '97 include directory and I got even more errors from all of the AFX calls. Has anyone had any luck with getting the VC'08 IDE setup properly for gauge development? If so, could you put a sticky out there? If I find out before there is a post, I plan on writing a short document detailing the steps to properly set it up and share with everyone.
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
  3. Simon853

Simon853

I had no luck trying to get MFC working in a gauge so I stuck with Win32. You should be able to get all the samples in the FSX SDK to compile with VS 2008 Express though. I used it for months before getting VS 2008 Professional.

Si
  4. rhumbaflappy

rhumbaflappy Moderator Staff Member Resource contributor

us-wisconsin
  5. besjr69

besjr69

us-georgia
    Dick,

Thanks for the information. Well I guess I'll do as Simon suggested and go back win32. I really wasn't using MFC much. I needed for the CDao classes. I guess I'll just have to create a new class object around ODBC and try again. Thanks all of the help.

Bobby
  6. Simon853

Simon853

Yeah, but I meant I couldn't get them to work in VS 2008 Professional either, when compiled into a gauge. No matter what I tried it just wouldn't link.

Si
  7. besjr69

besjr69

us-georgia
    Simon,

This may have something to do with VC++ '08. In VC '97 I selected "Use MFC in a Static Library" and the stdafx header was created. From there I was able to pull in C++ classes like the Dao and OLE objects. The documentation for C++ Express states that MFC is not supported, but I have those options in my Project Properties. Of course, they are not there using the APP Wizard. I just went through the pain of downloading the Platform SDK (25hrs using my Afghan dialup service). So I'll see what happens. If ever I have any success with using MFC with VC'08 I'll reply back to this post. In theory, it should work as long as I have the DLLs, headers and Libraries properly linked. Then again, how far do theories go?

Bobby