1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VTP or LWM Elevation

Discussion in 'Ground2k4, SBuilder, SBuilderX' started by AeroGordo, 25/11/06.

1. AeroGordo

AeroGordo

unitedstates
    Is there anyway to create elevation data without having a DEM file? Say I wanted to create a fictional island--added coasts, landclass, etc; but then I wanted to add a mountain on it. How would I do that? and is it possible in SBuilder?
  2. kjb

kjb

I've never attempted it, so I'm not sure it would work, but you could try some sloping flattens. The flattens could use sea level at the perimeter of the island, then come up to different elevations within the island. Sbuilder can use different elevations at each point in a flatten.
  3. scott967

scott967

us-hawaii
    i think you could use sbuilder, slartibartfast, or autoasm. All involve the same basic concept: you create an image where color equates to elevation. The trick is figuring out the right colors to use and then getting your image in the proper format for these programs.

In the case of sbuilder, it uses bitmap format. IIRC it uses the green and red channel to represent elevations, with the green being the least significant. Blue channel is used for ocean areas. So sealevel is black R0,G0,B0. as you go up 255 meters is R0,G255,B0, and 256 meters is R1,G0,B0, etc.

scott s.