• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

VTP polygon landclass problem!

fog

Country
norway
Hi all!

I am having a bit trouble with a current scenery I am designing. I have got a SHP file with all the data for the city boundaries for entire Norway. I have used Global Mapper to create a BLN file wich I have imported to Sbuilder. Then I define all the polygons as landclass (city). No problems so far. Exporting to BGL is also no prob, and my polys with landclass works in FS.

BUT: here is the deal..

Take a close look at the two following images:

http://www.fwi.no/images/polys.jpg
http://www.fwi.no/images/SB_BLN.jpg

All my original polys (in the BLN) are split into several thousands small polys.. My original file have about 16000 polys, but after I create a BGL, and the append it again into SBuilder it contains 260000+ polys. It seems to me SCASM.exe is doing this...

I also tried some other tools but no one are suitable to do this (autoasm etc).

I have been in touch with Luis Sa, the creator of the Sbuilder, and hi pointet me to this thread in the PTSIM forum..

So, now I need some experts to help me out here.. I want to make the same scenery with less polygons (preferable as many as there is in the BLN file) to get the autogen houses to display properly.

Rgds

Freddy

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Freddy,

It seems to me that your polygons have just been triangulated. That is not really needed for VTP polygons, but it must have happened somewhere in the process. I am pretty sure SCASM can not do this.

fog

Country
norway
Hi Arno!

See the first image there, I created 4 polys two octagons, and two a bit more complex ones.. I tried to draw them clackwise and counter clockwise, but in both occasiens the complex ones gets triangulated..

Do you know any programs that is NOT using scasm for creating vtp polygons.. so I can try find exactly whats causing this.. ?

Freddy

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
SBuilder is the only program that does use SCASM to create mesh elements. All other program use BGLC. But I can assure you that SCASM does not do the triangulation.

So it is probably SBuilder itself that does it or maybe LWMViewer while you are watching it.

fog

Country
norway
Imported the BLN file, and it looks ok, compiled VTPP polys, and then opened in LWM viewer. Lots of triangels,, then tried to append the VTPP back into Sbuilder,. same result as in LWM viewer...lots of triangels. So something is happening during the BGL compilatition... thats for sure...

I tried Autoasm and Slarti for creating the same files, but as they both depend on bitmaps as sourcefiles, they are not suitable for the size of my scenery.,
Exporting the sources as geotiff ore high quality JPG from Global Mapper results in a image 14000 x 14000 pixels of 70 mb weight..

Freddy

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Freddy,

It must be something that SBuilder does during the compilation then. Luis should be able to tell you for sure if that is the case :).

But I am not sure if you have to worry too much about this. When drawing the scenery FS will have to triangulate it as well, so it might even be more efficient to do it already when creating the BGL.

bpahe

Resource contributor
Country
sweden
Hi!

Try importing the Shapedata into MapEdit - it then requires some editing (unless the data is made the "right" way) but is very usable, save your data as PolishMap (*.mp) and then import the data to SBuilder. That´s how I´ve worked with my shapedata and I do not recall having the problem that you report here.

And by the way, why is it that you Norwegians and Finns get all the data for free, while we in Sweden don´t get what we want even if we´re willing to pay for it? :mad:

/hans