1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is FSUIPC?

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by CrashTestDummy, 20/2/10.

1. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    What is FSUIPC?

I’m new to FS, so making some startling discoveries…
    Like I’ve just discovered the FSUIPC is not a MS product ;)

I had a look at FSUIPC briefly just to make sure I’m not building the same thing (I’m not) and it looks like a Heap Walker.

This guy seems to have discovered that he can put a callback DLL (a gauge) in the FS process, walk the heap, set up an invisible window and call the data across processes using the windows message pump…

Holy Crap!

Firstly because its not a MS tool… and secondly, this guy has to be a flying fanatic to want the data so badly, an enormous amount of work… ha ha

Fly the plane, watch bit change, and eventually figure out you looking at the landing light, and knowing that next version of FS you may have to do it all again.

And a whole industry grew up on this memory peeker ;)

I think that’s flipping amazing ;)

Is that about right?
  2. n4gix

n4gix Resource contributor

unitedstates
    Adam Szofran wrote the first FS6IPC decades ago, then turned the source files over to Pete Dowson when Adam went to work for MS/ACES.

For nearly a decade, Pete maintained and expanded FSUIPC as each new version of FS was released. What is remarkable is that it remained absolutely free up until FS2004 was released, at which time Pete was investing so much time and effort into it that he implemented three "functional models" of FSUIPC:

1. basic funtions free

2. advanced functions "unlocked" under single-product-use license paid for by payware company

3. advanced functions "unlocked completely" for single-user paid for by customer

The above is a very brief history. For full details I'd suggest going here:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

and downloading the FSUIPC SDK 29th Release.

...and here for Pete's official Support Forum:
    http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=54
    Last edited: 21/2/10
  3. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    FSUIPC is one of the most important tools ever developed for FS.

There are alternatives out there and for FSX MS provides SimConnect. Certainly for FSX there is no reason that I can see to have another tool to access FS data.

FSUIPC 4 (the FSX version) is built on SimConnect to get its data. FSUIPC is an awful lot more than just a message and data handler and, as you point out a lot of tools use it including mine :)
  4. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Yes, it’s very clever, but that’s not what I was getting at…

A new guy like me, all of 7 weeks on FS, absolutely struggles to find SDK info, because what do we do, we go look at the MS site, and find that its something called ESP and pretty hush hush.

So, this is the conclusion we come to… MS is now suddenly hiding the SDK away from developers… there used to be lots of developers working, now MS is hiding the tools.

See… its wrong, but that’s what a new guy thinks… the truth is MS “never” made the first SDK kit, incredible kludge artists did.

Not downing these guys… I’m realizing that after 10 years, FSX is really the FIRST real SDK MS has made… and then they ran away… ha ha

I believe you… without FSUIPC… not data on 2004/2002/2000/CS whatever 98… probably all the way back to DOS ;) Guy needs a medal ;)

But when I think about it technically, it literally is like looking for needles in a haystack… and then an industry grew… it’s a great story :)

Anyway I'm near brain dead, exhausted, on the same path these other guys walked... interesting but damn its a ton of work.
  5. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Better analogy… this Pete Dowson chap and the guy with the original idea are gold miners, in a nice sense.
    Someone gave them 200 tons of dirt, raw ore, and they figured out how to extract a few ounces of gold… and a town grew up around them… I think it’s a great story!

Or interesting at least because now the dirt is not getting dumped on the Dowsons gold pan anymore, so now what? Looks to me like MS was never a willing partner.

So I making my own insurance policy, I’m trying to give 2004 a SDK that’s so good, ESP wont matter… but I’m beginning to think there’s not enough of me in this one body ;)
    If I’m wrong it won’t matter, if I’m right, 2004 FSPUIC and Genie will be all we have.

What’s interesting about this code I’m developing is that I know it on the edge, I’m writing and rewriting because, there’s a real danger of building fat brick.
    Or simply put… that Balmy character is not going to kill my flight simulator… ever!

Its war… ha ha
  6. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    Are you writing this super-duper SDK in the Welsh language?

If so, the rest of us simpletons won't have a hope in hell of using it it :p
  7. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

vaticancity
    Oh, a spy... ha ha
    We veeeell take no prisonerZ, ja ;)

If watching the sun come up and then going to work doesn't kill me :)
    Well, we'll see if the industrial military complex can code better than I can (without the SDK!).

Another great story... if I don't eat humble pie... hey General Balmy ;)