1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with this?

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by lordofwings, 11/8/07.

1. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    Ok, in order to improve on the aweful landscape of the default FS9/FSX I installed meshes for both FS9 and FSX. Now the geographical altitudes in my region of interest are much more realistic.

Now, one of my two airports of interest is the airport named "Alvaro Berroa" with code PX02 in FS9 in the country of Panama.

Without the mesh the airport appears at 5000' ft in a high plateau about 1500' above the rest of the ground. Very far from reality. With the mesh things improve somewhat. There is more altitude around but the lake beside the airport is sunk some 300' below ground and the airport field is some 500' feet above the ground. Still pretty unrealistic.

So what I wanted to accomplish was to

a) Leave the lake where it is, it is there in real life and makes for nicer landscape
    b) Raise the altitude of the lake surface so that it is not sunk
    c) Lower the airport to ground level, basiically elimininating that plateau that does not exist in real life.

I must have tried all tools out there, so far no luck. FSSC does not do it, ScenGenX crashes and burn with a "Return without Gosub" when I try to add a background image and scale it., AFCAD needs a flattenned/modified scenery for the airport design to be meaningful.

Yup, also read several tutorials on so many different tools each with their own shortcoming and some apparently outdated.
  2. jvile

jvile

It appears you are trying to use the wrong tools for working with Land and Water

Sbuilder for FS9

For FSX you can use SBuilderX or FSX_KML which are both supported here on FSdeveloper and have their own forums.
    Last edited: 12/8/07
  3. warmingham

warmingham

malta
    Hi, I am no expert but with FSSC you can normally play around with elevations etc. Perhaps you need to arrange things before you employ your meshes? But it seems that you want to use the terrain that is there - not put your own in? I fiddled around with FSSC to produce the pic attached but I covered the whole area, putting in what I wanted. I did it roughly just to see what I could do with bringing the level up.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help.
    Last edited: 28/8/07
  4. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    To alter mesh terrain I would indeed use SBuilder, SBuilderX or FsX KML. The other tools you mentioned are more to design airports and when you are altering the landscape they are not the easiest to use.

I think if you make some new flattens, maybe even sloped ones, you should be able to get the altitude problems fixed.

When you are changing the altitude of the airport, you will have to change it with AFCAD as well to match that of the new terrain flattens you made.
  5. lordofwings

lordofwings

panama
    And I suppose I would still have to respect the QMID11 rule that I must work on the entire QMID11 cell, or not? I was having such problems in remaking some islands. A problem I still have not resolved because it displays the shorelines but everything else is shown as water. For the curious see the "Islands showing as pure shorelines" thread in the FSX_KML forum as it seems nobody there knows the solution.
  6. José

José

brazil
    Hi,

If you do not have an ADC chart for youy airport, make a search in the net and you will see the real altitude for Alvaro Berroa is 6.500 ft, while in FSX it's 4006,6 ft.
    http://www.fallingrain.com/apts/4469.html

With FSX low resolution mesh (900 m) the error could be unseen, but when you use a better mesh, such as 76 m (from SRTM, by example) that altitude's difference become more visible.

The solution is creating a new flatten, at 6.500 ft (using SBuilderX) and adjusting the runway altitude to the new flatten..

Regards,

José