1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What trees for FS9 and FSX?

Discussion in '3D Objects General' started by MarkkuS, 27/10/07.

1. MarkkuS

MarkkuS

sweden
    Hi!
    I'm almost ready with my first attempt to create an airport. The only thing which is still missing is trees. My first idea was to use Arno's ag_tree_lib12, but now I have read that rotate-to-user-objects will no function in FSX. I'm using FS9, but I don't want to rework this if I port the airport to FSX.

I have also read that transparency created with dxt1 and alpha-channel files, will not work in FSX-SP2?

Do any have a recommendation on what trees to use for FS9 and FSX?
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

For the rotate to user I have not seen trouble in FsX, so I would not worry about that. The transparancy problems in SP2 could indeed be a problem, but that is something I have to look at a bit more to see what the best solution is.
  3. toprob

toprob

I suspect that it was me who caused the confusion over rotate-to-user. Acceleration (and hopefully SP2) works ok with rotate-to-user, but the uses to which it is normally put don't work, in particular trees and people. This is a problem with the alpha channel transparency.
    These were my main concern, as everything else can be fixed by using the FSX gamepack.
    Anything which a) cannot be processed through the FSX gamepack, for whatever reason, and b)has alpha channel transparency, will cause a problem.
    Another technique which springs to mind is anything which has been tweaked through Arno's MDL Tweaker, which again rules out the use of the FSX gamepack.
    Anyway, back to your original question, I may in future use my own trees (rotate-to-user) in FS2004, but replace them with generic trees in FSX -- there are plenty to choose from, they are just a bit more ordinary than my 'character' trees.
    I can't really think of a method which would work in both.