1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are they?

Discussion in 'AI Flight Planner' started by collltip, 2/12/08.

1. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    After 5 months I finally got some aircraft to appear and fly the plan!By default they were being compiled into a Adobe folder on my desktop.Stopping this made them appear.
    But my joy was short lived and I have lost them again.
    Out of 80 plans I can only find 2 or 3 in various folders on my computer.When I send plans to FP List and get the dropdown menu ,save file set is usually greyed out.I click on save as and get a save in my documents window with Flightplans_.txt as a choice.If I click on this it says it already exists do I want to change it.I assume this will erase anything already in there so I dont.I have tried typing in Flightplans_X.txt where X is the number I gave the plan when creating it.It then does appear in My Documents folder.
    In the drop down menu I click Compile bgl.The window says compile to C:\....scenery\traffic_X.bgl and I click compile.
    Sometimes the top slot is empty so I type in the above string and compile.
    At the moment after doing this no aircraft are appearing.
    Strangely if I create a new airfield and do a plan,no aircraft appear but a few feet from the parking spot are three of the FSX default ground vehicles.
    To summarise this after all this time I still do not know how to save the plans,make them appear and keep appearing each time I switch on the computer.
  2. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Glad to see you've persevered with AI Flight Planner, Colltip.
    AI Flight Planner remembers the last folder to which you saved/compiled. However, until you first specify the folder where a flight plans/traffic file is to be saved, each time AIFP is started, the file will be saved to a location determined by Windows when it displays the "file save" dialog (the last file-save path used by windows which, in your case, appears to be your Adobe desktop folder). Once you save, AIFP will use that same path for all subsequent saves until you specify another location. (To avoid this situation, I'll initialize those paths to AIFP folders in the next release of AIFP.
    "Save File Set" remains disabled until you make a change (i.e., until you have something new to save).
    So, you seem to now have control where the flight plan file sets are saved.
    If the top slot is empty, it means you haven't specified where to save the traffic file. Hard to tell where it goes. What is the exact string you type in?
    Apparently, not where FSX "looks". As I have mentioned in other posts, I save all my traffic files to the Addon Scenery folder and use the Scenery Library to turn specific traffic on or off. You can use either the Addon Scenery\scenery folder or set up your own special folder(which must have a "\scenery" sub-folder).

You should be able to locate your missing traffic files using the Windows "search" function with the filename string "*traffic*.bgl". In future, I suggest before compiling you click on the upper window in the compile dialog (the folder to which the file will be saved) and backspace through the field to see the whole "path", changing it as necessary to ensure the file is saved where you want it to be. [EDIT: You don't have to backspace through the field. Simply click on the drop-down box "arrow".] AIFP save dialogs are standard Windows functions. When you click OK, AIFP simply reads the (whole) upper field, adds to it the file name in the lower field and tells Windows to save the file to the resulting path. AIFP doesn't "care" where the path leads.

FSX will only display traffic if the file containing it is located in a location where FSX "looks" for traffic files. That is, "Scenery/World/scenery" or in a "\scenery" sub-folder enabled via the Scenery Library. If a traffic file is located anywhere else, FSX won't "see" it and the traffic won't be displayed.

One other issue to note. If FSX "finds" a compiled-for-FS9 traffic file anywhere, it will not display compiled-for-FSX traffic. This is dealt with in detail in the user manual.

Hope this helps,
    Don
    Last edited: 2/12/08
  3. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    Where are they

Don ,thanks for the lengthy reply.When I compile the string in the top box isC:\Program files\Microsoft games\microsoftFlightsimulatorX\addon scenery\scenery\traffic_104.bgl where 104 is the number I gave to the plan leg. Another point I have noticed is that when I send the plan to the FP List it appears in the box as [1] AC#1,177,99%,24Hr,VFR,12:00,12:19,30,R,103,103,AF56,14:00,14:19,30,R,104,104,A with the leg numbers duplicated and the departure airfield A100 clipped.If I click on open text editor,it has single leg numbers and the full A100.Is this a clue to my problem?
  4. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Is your "\Addon Scenery" folder enabled in the Scenery Library? As well, are your traffic levels set to 99 or 100% - as required by the flight plan?
    Don't know what you mean by "leg numbers duplicated". (There are no leg numbers in the Flight Plan List.) Please be more specific, sending a screenshot, perhaps. [EDIT: After some experimentation, I now understand what you are saying re leg numbers (actually, flight numbers)] The "[1]" indicates to me that this is the only flight plan in the Flight Plan List - or at least the first one. Is that the case?
    The clipping is likely due to the flight plan being longer than the width of the Flight Plan List will display. Is there no horizontal scroll bar displayed?

Don
    Last edited: 12/12/08
  5. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Colltip, the duplicated "leg numbers" were due to a design oversight. It was just a display issue and has no other consequence. It has now been corrected and I expect to release a new version of AIFP within the next 48 hours including some significant new functionality.

Re the abbreviated airport code, please send me one or two screenshots showing the flight plan in the Flight Plan List (with the abbreviated airport designator in view) and also in the leg editor.

Don
  6. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    where are they

Don,I have made some screen shots but do not know if they will transmit.There is a limit on the size of the message.The addon scenery folder in scenery library is enabled.When I click on it,it does not contain any Aifp files.but it also does not contain any ADE airfield files and they show ok in FSX.I do not understand the traffic % box.I have tried different values in an attempt to get things to work,but I usually set it to 99%.All my work is set in WW2 so I do not really want any default AI showing.If I turn traffic down to zero in FSX I lose all the modern stuff which is what I want,but does this affect the % value I should use in AIFP?When I create a plan and save it to the list,it is the only plan in there.Should all the previous plans be showing in there?I wii start another message and put the screen shots on it.
  7. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    screen shots !
    Last edited: 15/1/09
  8. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    screen shot
    Last edited: 15/1/09
  9. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    Don ,sorry I cannot them large enough to read.
  10. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Screenshots are fine. If I wanted to get rid of default AI, I would copy the trafficAircraft.bgl from FSX\Scenery\World\scenery ( which is where I like to put my flightplan bgl. files. But that's just me.)to a location outside FSX. Then delete the original file. That gets rid of all default AI. Otherwise, you have to alter that file to delete flightplans for the area you are working in.

Previous plans will show if you select Reload Last File (Set),or Open and select a file you have already worked on. That would be from the Flightplans button in the upper right hand corner.

Bob
  11. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    First the easy one. For reasons I won't go into, AIFP calculates the full (not displayed) width of the Flight Plan List based on the longest flight plan in it. Unfortunately, the calculation is a few pixels short of the actual width, which is why you are seeing "A" instead of "A100". (I found the problem a few days ago quite by chance.) Other flight plans that can be displayed in the calculated width show OK. The data is not affected.

Now for the disappearing flight plans.
    1. In the FSX Settings/Traffic box there are two % sliders, one for airline traffic, the other for GA, which control which traffic is displayed. If it's set at 60%, for example, only flight plans whose level is set to 60% or below will show. If you set the %level value in your flight plans to 99%, the slider must be set to 99% or 100% for you to see them. If you want to get rid of the default traffic, do as BobbyJack suggests or, if you are comfortable doing it, simply change the filetype extension of the file"path to FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl" from "bgl" to "xxx". Alternately, set the traffic level % field in your flight plans to 1% and your traffic sliders to 1%. (There's little if any defaulty traffic at 1%) In any case, default traffic is only scheduled to stock airports. Most of your airports appear to be add-ons.
    2. Traffic (and ADE) files are not stored directly in the folders enabled in your Scenery Library. Rather, those folders must have a "\scenery" subfolder and, where necessary, a "\texture" subfolder. Traffic, ADE and other ".bgl" files are stored in the "\scenery" subfolder.
    3. If there are no AIFP files (by which I assume you mean compiled traffic files) in your Addon Scenery\scenery subfolder, then you are putting them somewhere else. What is the Compile to File field set to when you compile the file? It should be "path to FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery".
    4. If you want to add your new flight plan(s) to an existing file, you must either load the existing file into AIFP before creating the new flight plan(s) or append the file after you've completed the new flight plan(s).
    Hope this helps,
    Don
  12. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    where are they

Thanks Bobbyjack and Don.After my last epistle I installed 1.56(and later 1.57),and I immediately began to see some of my aircraft suggesting that a previous upgrade had removed them.When I create a plan for a default airfield as a test,the aircraft appears and flies both legs.When I do the same for one of my addon airfields ,the aircraft may not appear or may fly the first leg,but at take off time for the return to the original departure airfield the aircraft justs vanishes.When I save a plan to the FP List and in drop down menu click save as,and in next screen save as Flightplan_199.txt (199 being my consecutive plan number),I get the message, Could not write the aircraft file ,please rename the back up(.bak)file.Argument cannot be nothing.Parameter name:file.I click ok and then get the message 'original files restored'.I click ok.In dropdown menu I click compile bgl,compile to file box has the string ending in addon scenery\scenery\Traffic_197.bgl (197 being my previous plan number).I change the 197 to 199 and compile.I then go to the departure airfield and my aircraft may be there but often isnt.I have aged another year in the last few months!
  13. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Double check your add on airports. When a plane disappears on push back, it quite often means you have a brake in your taxiway system,or you don't have a runway type taxiway on your runway. plus make sure your parking sizes are correct for the aircraft your are using.

Bob
  14. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Colltip, Bob is right-on as regards the disappearing aircraft. That means ATC can find no path from the parking spot to the departure end of the runway in use.

As regards the error message, that's definitely an AIFP problem. I'll check it. Bottom line, your file was not saved, so what you compiled was the previous version of the flight plans.

Don
  15. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    Colltip, when you specified the filename "Flightplan_199.txt", did you get the message "Companion aircraft and airport files cannot be saved under this name. Do you wish to save just the flight plan file?" to which you answered Yes?

If you did, that will cause the error you experienced (it shouldn't, but it does! - and will be fixed.)

If that is the case, save your flightplans to a file named "Flightplans_nnn.txt (note the "s" in "Flightplans" - which is the standard naming convention) and you'll avoid the error.

If you didn't get that message, can you provide me with any further details (cause I can't duplicate your problem any other way)?

Don
  16. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    Where are they

Thanks Bobbyjack and Don.ADE fault finder does not suggest that I have a fault on my airfields.I created 500 UK airfields in FS9 using AFCAD TTools and FSSC and a few thousand flightplans and I did sometimes get wayward or vanishing aircraft due to the causes which you list Bobbyjack.But I think I have done everything correctly with ADE.No,I have not had the fault message which you quoted Don,but I will force it to put an s on the Flightplan and see what happens.When I get a message telling me that the airfields in the plan may not exist in FSX,is this just a warning rather than a fault message?
  17. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

unitedstates
    Yes, that is just a reminder. Again, wingspan and parking radius data are far more critical in FSX than they were in FS9. I, too, did much work in FS9, and have had to relearn many things to make FSX work. If aircraft vanish at pushback, or after landing, than there is a taxiway or parking problem. The ADE fault finder may not find some of these things. You may have to manualy go over everything. And not all planes work well as AI aircraft, not even some default ones.

Bob
  18. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    I've just confirmed that, for some as-yet-unknown reason, the filename is sometimes not checked. Thanks for letting me know. However, if you add the "s", all should be well.
    If the message says "may", it refers to add-on airports. Since the system only knows about add-on airports that you've told it about (by way of the collect airports function and, apparently, you haven't told it about one or more of those used in your flight plans), it's letting you know there MAY be a problem. You can turn off this message from the Flight Plan menu.

Don
  19. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
  20. collltip

collltip

unitedkingdom
    where are they

Thanks again Bobbyjack and Don.I first installed AIFP in May or early June and I have spent hours and hours trying to get it to perform and at last,yippee it does!!!I typed an s onto Flightplan in the Save as window and this removed the aircraft error message which I listed and whether by coincidence or not,I began to get 95% success rates with my plans.Despite the time it has taken me to get it working,I believe it was worth it.It produces a huge increase in reality for my use of the sim.My thanks to you for providing the program.Before typing this I downloaded 1.58 and will instal it.