1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where taxiway joins runway

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by Mac, 1/12/07.

1. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Have been working with a default airport trying to get it a little more accurate.
    Having a problem with one taxiway that joins the runway.

The default joins the runway as shown in the picture. Only one side curves into the runway and the taxi lines only go one way.

I have been trying to get it curved on both sides with the taxi lines going both ways.

I have checked the manual and looked at some default airports where the taxiway joins curved on both sides and cannot see where anything is different than I have done.

I must be missing something simple.:(
    Last edited: 8/12/07
  2. jvile

jvile

Mac

Is that the first entrance point to a runway. If so you need to add a short extension to the runway black link line so the fillets go in both directions.
  3. Golf-HotelDelta

Golf-HotelDelta

unitedkingdom
    The fillets are created automatically depending on the widths of the taxiway and runway centre-line. Here is one I haven't yet modified:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    The next release of ADE will draw the fillets and curves - that might make things easier :) It just did not make the November release....
  5. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    What would be the minimum width of the taxiway and runway centre line for the fillet to show up automatically?

Tried increasing the taxiway width with no results.

Only other option would be to put in an apron and do without the taxi lines.
  6. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    I am not sure I understand the question. Are you referring to fillets in ADE? If so they are not implemented. If you are talking about fillets in FSX then these will be generated by the scenery engine and that takes account of taxiway width.

When joining to a runway the width of the taxi link on the runway should match the width of the runway. That will ensure your fillet and markings work
  7. jvile

jvile

Also

In some cases you need to move the blue node a very very small amount along the runway link line. This is not a new problem but one we had to deal with even in FS9 using the AFCAD2 program.

It is related to the graphic engine of FSX and in some cases FS does not like perfect but needs a very slight offset in the draw of fillets.
  8. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Mac, I think if you compile that thing and take a look at it in FSX you will see fillets there. It looks like you have it set up right.

Before you do that run the fault finder to see if you have any unconnecte nodes. You can tell if that link in you pic is connected by putting the pointer over it in ADE, also. The node and links (all three) will turn white if it is connected.

Derrick
  9. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Have tried the fault finder, no problems.
    Also added more nodes to runway and everything else I could think of. No luck.

There is another airport close to here, see pic, that has a taxiway doing what I want. I looked at it and can't see anything that looks different.

I guess they just have a smarter engineering department.:laughing::laughing:

I hate computers.:banghead::banghead:
  10. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Mac,

1. is the width of the ruway link (the black one running the length of the runway) set to the same width as the runway itself? example, if my runway is 100 ft wide the my runway link width is also set to 100 feet.

2. do you have a pic of how it actually compiled? No fillets usually means the above is the problem.

Derrick
  11. jvile

jvile

Mac

Did you slide the blue node that is on the runway a small amount along the runway link line? They are controlled automactically by the linking node of the taxiway to runway.

The difference in your 2 pictures is, one taxiway intersects at a perfect 90 degree angle (not the ideal for fillets) and the second picture has a slight offset where the taxiway intersects the runway (ideal for fillets).
    Last edited: 2/12/07
  12. colin_d

colin_d

unitedkingdom
    Hi Mac,

Which is the airport you're trying to modify? Joining taxiways to runways is not usually a problem so maybe we can throw some light on it by looking at it from scratch.

Colin
  13. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Think I tried all of the above. Will check and see that I did try everything.

The airport is CBS8 - Alberni Valley Regional.

I used the default as a base and am trying to make it more to life.
  14. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Mac, if you will zip up the bgl file and attach it to the a post here I have a minute to look at it. What do you think?

Derrick

edit: include the ADE file in the zip, if you will.
  15. jvile

jvile

Mac

The pictures are your airport. Fix the missing fillet by adding one additional single node to the runway. If that don't work then Derrick's request might be the answer.
    Last edited: 12/12/07
  16. Mac

Mac

ca-britishcolumbia
    Jim.
    I was just going to say that I had figured it out and low and behold there was your answer saying just what I had found out.:D:D

Thanks to all who tried to help me. It just shows what a great community this is when others take the time to help an old forgetful pensioner like myself.

Thanks again fellows.

Jon, Jim, and Graham, it is a great program and easy to use. :)
    It's just understanding the mechanics of the flight sim that is the difficult part.:confused:
  17. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

Good on ya, Mac!

Derrick
  18. rfields

rfields

us-arkansas
    Taxiway and runway widths will not matter in this case. The issue has been the same since the first days of testing AFCAD with FS2004.

FS will not draw a fillet if the runway link terminates in the next node.

As Jim pointed out above - there must be at least one additional node between the runway/ taxiway junction node and the end of the runway black link line node - otherwise - no fillet will be drawn.
  19. dcmiller58

dcmiller58

I know, Reggie. I just thought the gentleman had said he tried putting in the extra node. :D

But your explanation is very clear. Thanks.

Derrick
    Last edited: 2/12/07
  20. smilewithyou02

smilewithyou02

china
    How to draw the fillet?

Do you know how to draw the fillet based on the widths of the taxiway and runway center-line?Do you have any documents or example about that?Tank u very much