1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to find mission Mission Files

Discussion in 'General chat' started by clueless_joe, 13/2/10.

1. clueless_joe

clueless_joe

us-southcarolina
    I'm reading the SDK mission creation documentation and also doing the tutorial.

Came across several sample mission files At the SDK site. One was the carrier practice.xml mission file. This as I'm learning is what gets turned into the mission .FLT file. Reading through it I think I found the answer to my question in another post. I see where the carrier initial position and route waypoints are created.

Question: Where do I find the mission files in the FSX directories. I did a search for the file - no joy. Did a search for any *.xml file - still no joy.

Anyone know where the mission files reside?

Thanks
  2. BASys

BASys

scotland
    Hi Folks

Admin/Mods -
    Please move this to the Missions boards.

Joe -
    Just some tips - :D

This is the "General Chat" board - for off topic posts.

You'll get better responses
    if you post in the correct forum board. :)
    For Mission questions.
    For SDK Installation questions.

Also please do not start new threads for the same problem.
    i.e. You've 5 seperate threads for your 1 SDK Installation problem.
    as it makes it difficult to provide suppport.
    Just use the reply button to update us with your progress. :)

re: Your Mission Questions
    mission.xml files are not turned into .flt files.

.flt files contain data about the aircraft's initial location and state,
    and the mission file to call.

mission.xml files contain the coding instructions to make the mission work.
    They can optionally be compiled into binary .spb files, (for quicker loading/running).

You won't find xml files in your FSX folders
    for any of Microsoft's default FSX missions,
    as MS compiled them into .spb files.

For an overview, please see - FSDeveloper - Wiki - Missions - Creation
    and the various links from there.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul
    Last edited: 13/2/10
  3. clueless_joe

clueless_joe

us-southcarolina
    Sorry about the breach in procedure.

I went to the Missions area and didn't see this post there so I'm back in general chat adding to the post.

I'm trying to learn SDK. I have yet to find a text that takes you from start to finish. The documentation at the Microsoft site is a start. I've downloaded/printed almost everything. There is one deficiency however. All the documentation is at the very detailed programming language. For a beginner in SDK there is not top level instruction. Even the SDK Overview assumes you're a relatively savy programmer. By the way I have experience with Fortran, basic, Visual basic, C++, and a couple of other deterministic and probabilistic based modelling tools. So I think I can pick up SDK with some effort.

Specific follow up to your response. Before the questions here is what I'm trying to get at. In FSX Accelerator there is a carrier landing tutorial. Both the F-18 and carrier are located in the North Atlantic. I would like to move the F-18 to Pensacola, FL and the carrier to 70-100 miles south of pensacola. I get two things out of this attempt - practice at modifying an existing mission and gaining more knowledge about FSx and SDK, and reliving a former life.

I initially went into the .flt file and changed with notepad the start latitude/longitude of the F-18 and carrier. Upon FSX and Mission restart, only the F-18 changed location. How do I know this - the mission compass point edto the carrier 1200 miles away. Also the .flt file data for the carrier didn't change.

Question 1: When I'm building a mission with the object placement tool (OPT) am I creating a mission file in .xml? If yes where does that file reside? I know that when I save out the flight that creates the .flt file which the mission then uses.

Question 2: If I did create a mission file in .xml, is it automatically compiled into .spb? Or do I compile in a separate step? As I see it having a copy of the original .xml file allows one to modify it to create additional/modify current missions. Can't modify the .spb.

Question 3: If MS compiled their default missions into .spb, can I legally download their .xml file, then load it into OPT, and create a new mission form that?

Question 4: Is modifying the .flt the only way to change the mission? I notice the .flt file is not as extensive as the much larger mission file. If the answer is yes, any idea why the carrier wouldn't change position?

Question 5: How do I add smilie icons to the text like you did. I'm clicking on the icons but nothing happens.

Question 6: How do I make a contribution to forum maintenance?

Warning: More questions to follow.

Thanks
    Last edited: 13/2/10
  4. clueless_joe

clueless_joe

us-southcarolina
    No need to answer the questions. Spent all weekend reading SDK documentation and doing the mission building tutorial. Found the answers.