1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start...

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by Badge, 21/9/07.

1. Badge

Badge

us-georgia
    I have been wanting to get into airport design for a while now and with winter coming I think it's time to give it a try. I am wanting to develop my local regional airport KCSG (I love this airport). I am a graphics and 3d modeler by profession so that part is of no worry, what I lack is the know how to put it into FS04. I assume the EZ Scenery and Airport makers out there are crap as most are in any gaming genre and that I need to hunker down and learn it the right way. So where to begin. Lets say I have modeled all the buildings etc that are to go into this airport what is the next step in the process? What programs if any should I look at purchasing. I have the SDK but its all greek to me.

Better yet if someone knows the programming aspect but needs a modeler/texturing guy I would love to team up and work on some projects.
  2. Gianni

Gianni

austria
    hi Michael,

I don't know if I get you right. You are telling us that you already have designed the objects (e.g. buildings). Did you do it with GMAX? If you did it, the way to export the files into a readable bgl-file via GMAX should be clear so far or at least described in several topics here in the forum and in the SDK. Can you specify your question?

greetz
  3. meshman

meshman

Identify, prioritize and then implement. Because the term "airport design" is vague, yet can be all encompassing.

The scenery is made up from amny different parts, that require different approaches and specific tools. Do you need to modify the airport facilities? That's an AFCAD task. Or do you want to create custom files to display portions of the airport facilities? That might be GMax. Modelling the buildings? GMax or FSDS would be appropriate.

So simple question to try and point you in the right direction, What is it you want to do for Columbus Metropolitan Airport?
  4. Badge

Badge

us-georgia
    I wish to create it from the ground up. Modeling in 3D Studio Max is what I do and low poly models and texturing is the part I know. I wish to slowly work up the skills needed to create the other parts to put it all together.