1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which versions for CFS1?

Discussion in 'Airport Design General' started by hubbabubba, 25/2/07.

1. hubbabubba

hubbabubba

ca-quebec
    Hello there!:wave:

I'm one of those weirdos still having fun with Combat Flight Simulator: WWII Europe Series, yeah, not a typo, some people still play with that one!:)

I used to make scenery for it but I've been involved in creating a/c for the game the last 2-3 years. Add to that a HD big crash a year ago. That's why I had to re-install all my scenery programs "from fresh".

I'm now trying to make a WWII style base for our squad and, for that, I have returned to scenery making. I used to make my own scenery with EOD and my airports with Airport for Windows.

The problem is that those two progs have "evolved" since CFS1 and are now "optimized" for more recent FS versions. EOD API's macros I could still tweak by "remodeling" the text files but Airport for Windows is giving me headaches. EOD is v. 2.0.59 and Airport for Windows is v.2.6 build 146. I was able to reinstall build 146 after using - i believe - build 166.

But I'm still experiencing a lot of "flickering on and off", probably due to the fact that Z buffering and other treatment of perspective were introduced after CFS1.

Any ideas about progs that would work "on equal footing" with CFS1 or of "old" versions of these two progs (EOD and AFW) that could?:confused:
  2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

I think EOD should still work fine and for AFW I think you should set it to create scenery for Fs98 (or was it Fs2000 that had the same scenery engine as CFS1?). That way I would expect it to work.
  3. hubbabubba

hubbabubba

ca-quebec
    Thanks Arno,

So; I think I'm stuck knocking my head on the wall:banghead: !!!

CFS1 was between FS98 and 2k, a cat's whisker below FS2000.

EOD does not work fine! PerspectiveCall are not followed by Perspective commands and ShadowCall are done before rotation instructions, causing weird "double-shadows" crawling all over the place! I don't know how FS2k manage those calls but, in CFS1, I have to redo all of that.

AFD v.2.6 is optimized for FS2K, no "downgrading" possible. Lucky me, CFS1 takes layering instructions and it is another API tweak to do.

One thing that makes me wonder though is that scenery conceived with "built-in" scenery program of CFS1 do not seems to be affected by "flickering syndrome". Wonder if it is the use of library objects that do that?

If I could only learn how to make my own libraries!:rolleyes:
    Last edited: 25/2/07