1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does SimConnect need VisualStudio 2005?

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by Simon853, 25/6/07.

1. Simon853

Simon853

Does anyone know why the SimConnect SDK needs VisualStudio.net 2005, as opposed to 2003?

I write my applications using Qt as it's a lot simpler than MFC, and I have VS.net 2003. But I'm stumped now upgrading my older code that uses FSUIPC to use SimConnect as Qt doesn't integrate with the VS.net 2005 Express edition and I can't justify a costly upgrade to VS.net 2005 Professional.

Si
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Does it? I use C# but I assume that most flavors of C++ would work but then I have not looked that closely
  3. Simon853

Simon853

I've just done some tests and you may be right. I've linked in SimConnect.h and .lib to an existing .net 2003 project and successfully called "SimConnect_Open()" without any problems.

However, the SDK clearly states: "To build SimConnect add-ons, you must use Microsoft ® Visual Studio 2005 or later, or Microsoft ® Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition or later."

Perhaps this is MS just trying to push people into using the latest versions, or maybe I'm going to run into problems expanding my .net 2003 program later on. Certainly the examples as included in the SDK wont open in VS.net 2003 because they were created with 2005. Maybe that's the only problem, though the quote above would suggest otherwise.

Regards,

Si
  4. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Well you could well be right. I guess if Simconnect is expecting to use some part of the 2.0 CLR then you will get problems. On the other hand I would be suprised if the C++ code uses anything like that but you never know. The Managed code on the other hand is a whole other can of worms :)