• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Why hasn't this been done before? ADE suggestion

Country
us-wisconsin
We know that in order to change the name of an airport, we have to change the altitude, change the name, change the altitude back so an *_ALT.bgl is created in the root World\Scenery folder in FSX. Couldn't this process be streamlined to just having to only change the name in the airport properties and the *_ALT.bgl automatically created from that?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes it could and it is on the list to do but we have just not gotten around to implementing it :oops: We haven't had a lot of requests for this so far

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - I will bump it up the list a bit ;)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Much less than changing the altitude I suspect ;)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I model airports in 1962. I have to change at least 50% of the airport's names.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK guys - there seems to be some interest in this as a feature. I assume it is just the name that would be changed and not any other items such as city or state?

Country
us-florida
No George what he's saying is that airport names and sometimes entire airports change over the course of 5 decades. For example Kennedy in New York was Idlewild. Reagan National in Wash. D.C. was Washington National. Tom's trying be to historically accurate with the name of the airport as it's listed in FS. Most of the time you do not need to change the altitude.

Country
us-wisconsin
I work on airports in India and a lot of the airport names are wrong, misspelled, or have changed. Regarding changing cities and states, if it can be done, why not? If I have changed a city name it is usually to correct a misspelling. When I change the name of an Indian airport, I will add the "state" info too.

It would come in handy but not if it takes too much trouble on Jon's part. We can still do it the way it works now. I mean he already has had to move to a bigger place in order to find room for the long list of requests and things to do:).

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Roby :) We are getting close to 1000 entries in the project management system now :yikes:

Country
germany
Well, that's really a nice amount. I know some projects (not restricted to software) having less requirements when being set up.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well, that's really a nice amount. I know some projects (not restricted to software) having less requirements when being set up.

Given an average fix/implement rate of one per day that is pretty much three years non stop work. Allowing for vacation and the 'honey do list' I reckon I could be at this for the next ten years.

Country
germany
Given an average fix/implement rate of one per day that is pretty much three years non stop work. Allowing for vacation and the 'honey do list' I reckon I could be at this for the next ten years.
Hmm, that's a good reason accompanying you hopefully for quite a while along this trail. The flip side is only that we are becoming this much older meanwhile. However, the community here is helpful and friendly and it's a shame that there is hardly a chance for a personal meeting for most of us.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well this one proved to fit into the minor update group so Change Airport Altitude is now Change Airport Reference Data and this is what the new dialog looks like:

ScreenShot00016.png

It is in the current development beta which I may be able to make available to this group over the weekend.