• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows 8.1 crashes FSX....and other woes?

Hi Gang

I have been hearing/reading that Win8.1 crashes FSX. I have also heard
Creative X-Fi sound cards stop working. Even some anti-virus apps stop working.

I'm running Win7 but was thinking of going to Win8.1. Anyone here had Win8.1 problems?

Ken

It's a prerelease version. Problems are expected. Specifically with software like anti-virus as these programs hooks deeper into the OS than most programs do.

Just wait for the release.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Yes, Lars is exactly correct. Windows 8.1 is only currently available as a pre-release preview build.

In the preview FAQ, they state things like:

If you install the preview release, you'll get to try out the many new features, but you might also encounter errors that you wouldn't encounter using a released version of Windows.
Your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should back up your data and you shouldn't test the preview on your primary home or business PC. You might also encounter problems like:

• Software that doesn’t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.
In some cases, the device or program might not work or may require an update, or you might need to uninstall some programs, and then reinstall them after installing Windows 8.1 Preview.

With every new release, Microsoft strives to offer a high degree of compatibility with all apps and devices. Microsoft regularly tests thousands of apps and devices and gathers customer feedback in order to help identify and fix compatibility issues. However, there are a few classes of products, like security and system utilities, that typically aren't compatible across Windows versions because they depend on internal parts of Windows.

FSX and Windows 8.1

FSX worked fine in Windows 8. Upgraded to 8.1 and it crashed. So what to do. I have an extra Hard Drive and an XP Pro installation disk. I set my system up for a dual boot. FSX works great on XP so now when the PC comes up I pick Windows 8.1 or XP. Everything is fine again. An Easy way to set up your system for dual boot is to follow this link: https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ and just follow directions. I like flying the XB-70 and the B-1B out of Edwards Air Force Base. Very Cool!

Last edited:
It's beta.

If you're hot for testing it out use Process Monitor from Microsoft. I tried it - and it's to fail with dxdiag posting 0xc0000005 with a faulting module of kernel32.dll

Updating to the latest Nividia beta driver did not help. The a yellow bang in device manager for one of the Nividia devices (Virtual Audio Driver).

Well, may be it is about something like this ... but wait and see.

FSX ... complicated as always.