1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8.1 crashes FSX....and other woes?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by CanadaKen, 28/6/13.

1. CanadaKen

CanadaKen

ca-britishcolumbia
    Hi Gang

I have been hearing/reading that Win8.1 crashes FSX. I have also heard
    Creative X-Fi sound cards stop working. Even some anti-virus apps stop working.

I'm running Win7 but was thinking of going to Win8.1. Anyone here had Win8.1 problems?

Ken
  2. lmoelleb

lmoelleb

It's a prerelease version. Problems are expected. Specifically with software like anti-virus as these programs hooks deeper into the OS than most programs do.

Just wait for the release.
  3. ollyau

ollyau Resource contributor

us-california
    Yes, Lars is exactly correct. Windows 8.1 is only currently available as a pre-release preview build.

In the preview FAQ, they state things like:

4. clurvey

clurvey

us-newhampshire
    FSX and Windows 8.1

FSX worked fine in Windows 8. Upgraded to 8.1 and it crashed. So what to do. I have an extra Hard Drive and an XP Pro installation disk. I set my system up for a dual boot. FSX works great on XP so now when the PC comes up I pick Windows 8.1 or XP. Everything is fine again. An Easy way to set up your system for dual boot is to follow this link: https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ and just follow directions. I like flying the XB-70 and the B-1B out of Edwards Air Force Base. Very Cool!
    Last edited: 2/7/13
  5. Computermensch

Computermensch

denmark
    It's beta.

If you're hot for testing it out use Process Monitor from Microsoft. I tried it - and it's to fail with dxdiag posting 0xc0000005 with a faulting module of kernel32.dll

Updating to the latest Nividia beta driver did not help. The a yellow bang in device manager for one of the Nividia devices (Virtual Audio Driver).

Well, may be it is about something like this ... but wait and see.

FSX ... complicated as always.