1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)

Discussion in 'Tools programming' started by Tim_A, 27/7/07.

1. Tim_A

Tim_A

england
    Is anybody using this new(ish) technology? I have to get into it any how, so was thinking of adapting my VFR flight planner to use it. Just wondering if anyone has experiences/pointers/tips... :)
  2. scruffyduck

scruffyduck Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

wales
    Tim

There is some discussion of this in a thread in the Tools Programming Forum and I have moved this thread there :)
  3. ziporama

ziporama

unitedstates
    Works well for standalone applications, unable to make work inside FSX (conflict at DirectX layer). Visual Studio 2005 has passable support for the 2D visual elements, and you'll really need VS2008 (the beta is available).

I was disappointed there is no designer for 3D although some can be purchased, and Blender has a XAML exporter (that must be tweaked to work).

There's great WPF info on the WPF blog ...

http://blogs.msdn.com/wpf3d/archive/2007/07/30/what-s-new-in-wpf-3-5.aspx

My overall impression is that I need to give this emerging technology some more time to mature - it has amazing potential UI wise with hardware accelerated graphics, and the tools make programming a bit more burdensome than they needs to be, unless you really like to edit raw XAML. A sign of immaturity is this incompatibility with layering of Direct3D spaces - hence the difficulty in using concurrently within the FSX process space.

Another issue I ran into inside the FSX process space has to do with the memory footprint - I blew right past the 2Gb per process limit on Windows XP with the CLR instanced inside the FSX process. That's not so much of a problem on 64bit XP or Vista, but you will have performance issues running a .NET based dll inside FSX on most machines unless they have 4Gb of memory - still well above today's average.

Etienne
    Last edited: 1/8/07