1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WIP NAS Jacksonville (KNIP) for FSX

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by jdhaenens, 3/4/07.

1. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    OK, I'm about 75% completed with the KNIP update for FSX, I had to lower the ground to get the seawall to look like a seawall. Probably 8-10 more textures to do, Taxiway markings to apply, etc., but it's almost there

Yes, the Goose will taxi up the PBY ramp. A bit of a bumpy ride, however as the platform function tends to "stair step" the angled ramp. I need to add some algae and scum to the ramps, but I had to try them out first.
    Last edited: 5/7/07
  2. DocMoriarty

DocMoriarty

germany
    Hey that looks really interesting to play with :)

I also like your choice of airplane, Goose is my favorite in FSX.

Click on the Airport Image to get the Detail Map for KNIP in stock FS. Perhaps the taxiway names in stock airport can help your design.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: 3/4/07
  3. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Hey there! Glad to see someone is updating KNIP!!!! I'm a Navy Jax pilot (and a fellow scenery designer), so if you need ANYTHING send me a PM and we can exchange emails, etc. Good luck!!

Matt Perry
  4. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    Thanks, Doc and Matt.

Of course this is a designer's worst nightmare...having another designer who happens to be a pilot and flies in and out of the airport you are designing.

Even though I'm a retired U. S. Naval officer, I came from subs, and do NAS's as my hobby. ...errr and this is just the basics ....and ahhh... any other reflections between the airport and reality are totally accidental... :) .

***[some of my generic filler hangers were used during the production of this airport, although none were hurt. At some point, I got tired of making just one more custom building...LOL]

Thanks guys!

Jim
  5. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Well... I guess I won't be too judgemental... :D

Actually, I love to see any kind of improvement to military fields around FS. I know many simmers don't fly to them so there isn't much demand. Thanks for taking the time to do it! It does look pretty accurate from the pics. At least you've got my hangar (VP-30) on there!

Thanks again!
  6. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    VP-30 hanger it is!

I took some liberties with the night lighting of the VP-30 sign....

I've also been in contact with one of the members of the original VP-7 Squadron that flew the P-2V's out of one of the seawall hangers. He also flew with VP-24 in the P-3.

I've also done KNLC and KNTU for FS9 (available at AVSIM) publicly, and have done KNFL, KNZY, KVQQ, KNQI, KNFW, KNPA, and KNJK (all FS9) for the VUSN. My plans are to complete KNIP and start on the updates for the rest of the air stations and release them publicly as well. I REALLY want to get around to doing Point Mugu, Whidby Island, and NAES Lakehurst (complete with cables, cat's etc.). I average an email a week asking for Mirimar, but alas, it's gone to the dark side...LOL.

I'll pm you with my email address. I am still looking for a few things...bells and whistles.

Thanks,

JimD
    Last edited: 23/4/07
  7. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    OK, NAS JAX is out for beta. Still experimenting with the double deck runway system by GrahamS to allow AI on the seawall, but everything else is working as planned.

Thanks to Matt for the VP-30 pics!

JimD
    Last edited: 5/7/07
  8. jdhaenens

jdhaenens

unitedstates
    I just sent the whole thing to AVSIM this morning. It should appear within the next day or so.

From the readme.txt:

Thanks to everyone who helped and those that encouraged as well.

Jim

EDIT: Took it down and put it back up. Did a bad .zip job this morning before my first cup of coffee kicked in.
    Last edited: 27/4/07
  9. mattperry78

mattperry78

us-florida
    Great to hear! I'll be sure to grab it this afternoon. I've been telling a couple of other guys about it in 30, and I'm sure they'll get a copy as well. Thanks again for your hard work!